Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old December 27th, 2018, 04:54 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Recommendations For A Good Quality Laptop Under $350

Back in 2014, I purchased a Dell Latitude e6500 laptop computer used from eBay. It has been a good laptop for me, and I like the build quality of the computer.

Due to the age of the computer, it's pretty much impossible to upgrade the computer unless I'm willing to shell out lots of money. With the amount of money that it would cost for me to upgrade that computer, I'd be better off buying a different computer. I only paid $200 including shipping for the computer back then. Even if I were to upgrade the computer, I still wouldn't see the speeds I'd hope for because of how old the computer is.

So here's what I'm looking for. I'm looking to buy either a new or used laptop computer. I've got up to $350 to spend on one. I would like at least an intel i7 processor of some sort, 8GB or more of RAM, would prefer an SSD drive. DVD drive is still a requirement for me, backlit keyboard, at least 15 inch screen or larger. legitimate copy of Windows 10 home or professional. Primary use for this computer would be web browsing, use of microsoft office applications, I need to run a VM on it with no problems because I am taking a linux class, and I might do a little gaming with the computer too as well as some video editing.

I would prefer that it is a business style type of laptop computer as they tend to be built with better quality components compared to other laptops anyone can buy. I would prefer not to get an HP laptop as I've had back luck with HP products, but any other brand is ok. I would need to make a purchase and have it before the 9th of January.

I am currently looking at possibly getting a Dell Latitude e6530, but wanted to see other options too.

Your recommendations and GO!

Old December 29th, 2018, 04:06 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The latest Dell laptops with the i7 processor are pretty good, if it was me I'd be saving all I could and getting a new one.

Not sure of the US price but they are around $A1000 here in Australia.
Old December 29th, 2018, 05:04 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
With that budget I7 forget it, unless it is used.

Did find this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-LATITU...TQOA:rk:1:pf:0
Old January 8th, 2019, 03:22 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I agree with Murf,
An I7 based Laptop is going to be spendy, and out of your $350 limit.

Murf,

The Laptop on E-bay is a Refurbished unit, and something doesn't seem right about it, especially at that low of a price.

I7 Cpu's have been notorious for over heating.
Gaming Laptops that use them, have had they're owners reporting Cpu's failing due too CPU Heatsink/Fan coming loose.

These used Dell Laptops may need to be taken a part.
The CPU Heatsink/Fan cleaned to get rid of dust clogging it.
Clean off the old Thermal Paste on the CPU & Heatsink,
And put on some fresh Thermal Paste, before remounting the CPU Heatsink/Fan back down.

If it has a GPU also, it too needs the same thing done to it as the CPU.

A lot of these repair places don't physically open up and inspect the Laptop.
They just wipe the HDD and put just the OS and the App Tools that came with the Laptop back on it.
See if it boots up, and all the ports and any devices on it are working.
Then resell it.

One good thing about it is the 1 year warranty.
So, if it fails, he can get his money back, or a replacement.

Signed: Ensign Tzap