Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows Vista

Notices

Topic Tools
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:56 PM

windows media player

Windows Media Player came installed on the computer and I had been using it fine now when I click on the icon (or even through the start menu) to open the program, nothing happens. What could be causing the program to be unresponsive?

Old December 5th, 2008, 11:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi jv40646. Try this. Close all open programs and open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click on the Start button and type cmd.exe in the Search box. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Copy and paste the below commands after the prompt> and hit enter after each line.

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Reboot and let us know if this helped. If you get any error messages after running those commands, please post them in full.
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:27 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
I have a new desktop that also came with WMP 11.

I downloaded Rhapsody since that is what my son uses.

I cannot rip copy the CD with music onto the new computer-both Rhapsody and WMP 11 "not responding".

I uninstalled Rhapsody and this is still happening with WMP 11.

I have Vista 64 bit SP 1.

Should I do what is suggested above?
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Pepper2003. No your problem is not the same. Are these music CD's or data CD's? WMP cant rip data CD's. See here for more help.
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM

Music CD's-and Rhapsody can't rip them either.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

Have a look in Event Viewer and see what Errors (not Information or Warnings) were recorded at the time and date that the problems occurred. Go to Start Search and type:

eventvwr.msc

eventvwr.msc will appear at the top of the Menu. Doubleclick on it and look under Windows Logs. Click on each category e.g. Application etc and look at Errors only. Post back the Event Source, the Event ID and any other relevant information. To do this, doubleclick on the Event, click on the General tab and click on "Copy" and paste the information into a new document (if more than one error) and then post it here.
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Well I did this-there must be at least 50 errors....but I clicked on copy and I can't find where they copied to. Do you know where they might be?

I won't send you all of them (when I can find them!) because there are some repeats and it does seem that I can get help online with resolving some.

The Microsoft site offers guidance on some errors but not the ones associated with WMP11 or Rhapsody.
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Pepper2003. They copy to Clipboard but you wont see anything until you open a document or text file and rightclick inside it and choose Paste. You may have to go back and copy them again if you have copied anything else since then (the clipboard will be overwritten).
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:42 PM

I have 145 errors!

I was able to rip the disks-but now the cd tray freezes and I have to restart the computer to get it to open.

I won't post all these errors but I think this computer has some issues.

Most of the errors relate to MCSTRM Service, Dock login error, Kerberos software, Windows search and dlbx.device.

Then there are some random other ones.

Where do I find clipboard? Is it Microsoft Clip Organizer?

I have had this computer for a week.

Last edited by Pepper2003; January 8th, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

Once you have copied the information, all you have to do is rightclick inside the Reply Box here and choose "Paste"

If that many errors are logged and your computer is freezing, I honestly think you should take advantage of your Warranty. Call whoever you purchased it from and arrange for a Tech to look at it.
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM

I am doing just that.....the CD freezing pushed me over the edge!

I also received an email today from Costco saying they apologize but the computer was configured wrong-it doesn't have an internal media reader so they are going to ship me an external USB one at no cost to me! I am so glad they are going to ship me something they forgot to add and not charge me-plus it's not what I wanted.

I fired off emails to Dell and Costco saying no thanks-ship me the internal one I thought I was getting and have a tech come and install it along with the new cover and optical drive they are already sending....sorry for the mini rant but this thing is driving me nuts!

Thanks for your help but I agree at this point they've got to look at this and figure it out-or else it's going back.
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Pepper2003. You are welcome for my input. Dont be sorry, I can understand your frustration and disappointment. I hope everything is sorted out to your satisfaction.
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Well I thought I would update you......I am waiting to have the computer picked up and returned-Dell said after I ran diagnostics and gave them the error codes it wasn't worth fixing and they wouldn't swap out the box-the monitor and speakers were fine-and Costco had to take the whole thing back since it was bought in a bundle.

What an ordeal it was to deal with Dell-Costco is fine but they are very slow in the return area.
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

It's a pity that this had to happen but at least they are honouring the warranty and you will get a new system. Thanks for the update Pepper2003 and I am glad the problem will be resolved very soon.