Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:38 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Disk read error

I turned on the computer tonight and get a message "A disk read error occured".

I ran an IDE diagnostic and it came back with the following:

Primary IDE

Drive 0: Maxtor 6Y080L0 - Fail. Return Code:7
Drive 1: Sony DVD......Diagnostics not supported

It appears the drive is no good-is that correct?

There are two other hard drives on this computer and I have the Windows XP reinstallation disk.

Is it possible to put windows on one of those other drives? Can I recover my data from the bad disk?

I booted from the reinstallation disk and ran chkdsk-it completed 50% and then said the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

I hope someone can help.

Last edited by Pepper2003; April 7th, 2009 at 03:21 AM.

Old April 8th, 2009, 03:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2003 View Post
Is it possible to put windows on one of those other drives?
Yes.
Quote:
Can I recover my data from the bad disk?
If you can see a drive letter (E: F: G: H: etc) then chances are better for recovery.
You'll have to wait until you get Windows reinstalled to see if a drive letter shows for the old drive.

If the failed drive shows in the BIOS but not in Windows, then professional outfits can recover data.

If the drive letter shows you can try PC Inspector it's free and works well.
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM

How would I do so-the other hard drives are on a PCI card and come up as Primary Channels-each one does-is there somethign I can do to change that and make them the one the computer goes to instead of the c drive?

I am now getting a message the "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I have run chkdsk which told me there were errors, so I ran chkdsk /r which said it fixed them but when I ran chkdsk /p to confirm this it said there were errors, so I reran chkdsk /r again and it said it fixed them.

Whatever-I would like to figure out how to put the Windows XP on the other drive.

I don't understand what you mean by seeing the drive to see if the data is recoverable.

Thanks.
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok you have a computer and it has more than one hard drive.

The hard drive you had Window XP on is dead. The drive has failed, they just don't last forever.
Your other drives are plugged into a PCI card and if there are wide ribbons connecting the drives to the PCI
card then that PCI card is an "IDE" PCI card.

Older hard drives are IDE and newer hard drives are "SATA". SATA is a thin flat cable with a way smaller plug
on each end (compared to an IDE ribbon's plugs). Plugs on ribbons and cables are called "molexes".

My guess is (because you never mentioned type, make, or model of your drives) that you have IDE drives.
Now your asking "how to get Windows XP on one of the other IDE drives plugged into the PCI card"
and to do that you need a Windows XP CD (or Windows XP DVD). If you don't have one you can't put XP
on anything. You can't use your dead IDE drive that is gone. Even if it was running perfectly the process
to "Clone" or "Image" that drive is complex and in the advanced user category. But your drive is dead so
it's not even an option.
Quote:
Whatever-I would like to figure out how to put the Windows XP on the other drive.
Think of the Windows XP DVD as a jar of strawberry jam and your two remaining drives as two pieces of bread.
..."how do I make a strawberry jam sandwich without a jar of strawberry jam?"
You don't, you have two pieces of bread and that's all your going to taste, no XP DVD, no jam.
Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by seeing the drive to see if the data is recoverable
This is done by removing the dead drive and plugging it into a working Windows computer. A computer
like yours isn't going to see anything but the BIOS settings. Pushing the delete key during the startup
will enter the BIOS settings and if a dead drive shows it's model in the BIOS settings then there *may*
be a chance of recovering files, but your not going to get Windows XP "copied" from that drive in any way.

You need a Windows DVD.
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM

I have a Windows Reinstallation CD.

It is a Dell computer and came with XP already installed on it. This CD I have also came with the computer.

The two additional hard drives are Maxtor SATAII/300 Internal Hard Drives connected to a Serial ATA PCI card.

Pushing the delete key during startup does not get me into the BIOS.
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:07 AM
CTH Subscriber

What kind of hard drive is the original that came with Windows XP? SATA? IDE?

Have you tried reinstalling XP with your "Windows Reinstallation CD"?

Dell BIOS settings are F2. When the computer is starting and you see the Dell logo it says "Push F2 for Setup". Setup = BIOS settings.
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM

IDE-which is recognized as the HD in the Boot Sequence-it doesn't recognize the SATA drives in the BIOS except under Hard Disk Drive sequence-they are both there but if I change the order from 1 being System BIOS boot devices to MAXTOR STM3320620AS and put System BIOS boot devices to 3 and last it doesn't do anything.

Sorry I didn't recognize the BIOS-I know a little about computers-just enough to get me in trouble. If I am able to retrive that data-and yes I have some backed up but not all-I will be happy. This computer has a long history of aggravation and more money spent on it than I want to think about.

I didn't try reinstalling Windows on the C drive because my understanding is that I would lose the data. I am hoping there is some way I can put the Windows on one of these SATA drives and then try and retrive the data from the bad C drive.

Thanks.

Last edited by Pepper2003; April 10th, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old April 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

The Windows CD recovery disk Dell gave you interacts with a hidden partition on your damaged drive.
The actual Windows install files are on the hidden partition. A partition is like a piece of pie. Think of
your hard drive like a whole pie. You can slice it up into pieces (partitions) and all those pieces [together]
make up the full size of capacity of the drive. The hidden partition Windows files can not be copied anywhere.
If your drive is dead your Windows is dead with it.

What model is your Dell computer?
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Dimension 4600
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

There are two SATA ports on that motherboard.

I would move the two drives off of the PCI SATA card and remove the SATA card from the PCI slot (uninstall it).

Your going to have to try Knoppix a bootable operating system
independent of your hard drive. If your drive is seen by Knoppix you may be able to copy files over to one of the other
hard drives. Then attempt a reinstall of Windows XP on the failing IDE drive.

Seagate (Maxtor) makes a test utility (program) you can burn to a CD. I'd test that drive. If it fails the Seagate Seatools test
then I wouldn't bother attempting do anything with the drive. You can call Dell and ask for solutions on how you can obtain
a Windows XP.
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:19 AM

I took out the PCI and connected the SATA directly onto the motherboard as shown-thanks for that.

Do I leave the BIOS alone?

The SATA Primary and Secondary drives are now recognized in the drive configuration but under Hard disk drive they are listed as 2 and 3-Hard disk drive not installed-and 1 is still System BIOS boot devices.

Also I went to the site for the download but I am not sure what I should be downloading.
Old April 11th, 2009, 03:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Do I leave the BIOS alone?
Yes. Don't make any changes in there.
Quote:
Also I went to the site for the download but I am not sure what I should be downloading.
Scroll down to the bottom of that page I linked to and click on I Accept
then there is a really ugly rust colored button that says DOWNLOAD NOW click that.

Also download and install this Dell Dimension 4600 BIOS update to get your BIOS to version A12.

Quote:
they are listed as 2 and 3-Hard disk drive not installed-and 1 is still System BIOS boot devices.
I'm sorry you'll have to re-explain this better. I'm not understanding what your saying here.
Old April 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM

In the BIOs under Hard Disk Drive Sequence the order is :

1. System BIOS boot devices
2. Hard dsk drive (not installed)
3. Hard disk drive (not installed)

In the Boot Sequence it is as follows:

1. IDE CD-ROM Device
2. Diskette Drive
3. Hard-Disk Drive c:

They are all checked. The SATA drives are not on there.

My question was what to download on the Knoppix site. There are so many options I don't know which one to pick.

EDIT: I downloaded v 3.9 and made a bootable disk-it is booting the c drive right now and I am in-but I have no idea where to find the files I want to copy-they are Microsoft Outlook email info, some pictures-and the Sim2 game files-but I'll keep poking around.

It looks like the C drive at least still has the information.

The Knoppix is also picking up the SATA drives.

Last edited by Pepper2003; April 11th, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2003 View Post
Hard Disk Drive Sequence

2. Hard dsk drive (not installed)
3. Hard disk drive (not installed)
For each of those drives get the highlight on top of the drive, hit the enter key and select "Installed"
Quote:
In the Boot Sequence it is as follows:

1. IDE CD-ROM Device
2. Diskette Drive
3. Hard-Disk Drive c:
Same with this area, you get the highlight on top of #3 (Hard-Disk Drive c:) and hit enter for other selections.

Quote:
They are all checked. The SATA drives are not on there.
They should be after you select "Installed" on each of them.

Quote:
what to download on the Knoppix site. There are so many options I don't know which one to pick.
It's all the same download, just a bazillion different places to download from in case one isn't working.

Quote:
I have no idea where to find the files I want to copy-they are Microsoft Outlook email info
Outlook emails are under one compressed file Outlook.pst it's usually stored in
C:\Document and Settings\(your user name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
Also in there are *.dbx files for every folder you created in Outlook. The Outlook.pst might not be there,
you have to actually create one in Outlook or after some time in using Outlook it will popup a message one day
saying something to the effect of "Do you want to compress files...blah blah".

If you didn't say "Yes" then no Outlook.pst was created. For your account information those files are *.aif files
and again unless you actually "Exported" an Outlook account you won't have any *.aif file(s).

This is one of the reasons computer World shouts "BACK UP! BACK UP!" all the time because you can get into these
situations where all your "goo" is on one drive and the drive is "pooched". You are luckier than many, at least you can
see files in Knoppix. Many don't even get the drive recognized because the failure is too severe.

Quote:
It looks like the C drive at least still has the information.
Yes, and when you have an operating system going (Windows) you can have a whack at PC Inspector for recovering files as well as deleted files as well.
Love that program, works well and it's free.
Quote:
The Knoppix is also picking up the SATA drives.
So will your Dell once you select "Installed" on each of them in the BIOS.
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:13 PM

I went to the drives and hit enter to install and it didn't do anything.

I still have the old BIOS-is that the problem. Version A09

If I hit enter on the highlighted items all it does is return me to the setup screen.

Re: Outlook I don't think I ever compressed files or exported-so does that mean I am out of luck with retrieving them?

Believe me I feel awful about not backing this up-I always meant to but never did-it's sickening really and I have no one to blame but me.

Last edited by Pepper2003; April 11th, 2009 at 10:20 PM.