Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Topic Tools
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
why not just buy an lcd 19" monitor for 150 and then buy the VGA cable for 11.99. Thats prob one of the cheapest high def solutions.

Old April 11th, 2006, 02:11 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
yer thats true that def alot cheaper the only thing is watching tv but like oracle sed befor about that USB device,still little confused bout that would i need a computer awell to make that device work?

cheers agen
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:47 PM

ok jus found something here

http://www.psism.com/mtvbox.htm

would this be ok so i can watch tv(well sky tv) and play xbox 360, can i use the 360 VGA cables or will i need the s-video cable? and how do i connect sky to this box??
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:32 PM

USB capture/tuner devices require a PC, but as you've found you can get ones that don't, coming with a variety of inputs and outputs. Yes that box will work, and you could use either the Xbox 360's S-Video or VGA output to connect to that specific box. Don't know about Sky though, how is it getting to you? Analog or Digital? Terrestrial or cable?
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM

sky is digital
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM

It won't work with that box then. You'll need to find one that handles digital TV (terrestrial or cable, whichever one sky is). It will need both analog and digital tuners if you want both Sky and your regular analog TV. I doubt there are many that will though. Alternatively you could try finding a digital tuner which can convert sky to an analog signal to input into the TV box (also rare).
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle128
It won't work with that box then. You'll need to find one that handles digital TV (terrestrial or cable, whichever one sky is). It will need both analog and digital tuners if you want both Sky and your regular analog TV. I doubt there are many that will though. Alternatively you could try finding a digital tuner which can convert sky to an analog signal to input into the TV box (also rare).
There might be a way of doing it. I think sky boxes have a video composite output. If it does then you could get a phono to s video convertor and plug that into an s video input on the tv card/box. Then that USB video capture device connects to the pc/laptop. That way you will get the normal channels plus the freeview channels, and also the sky chanels through the s video input. Did that make sense? or am i missing something here?

Last edited by G_Dem; April 12th, 2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:19 PM

That would work, assuming the Sky channel is setup that way, using a separate external decoder/receiver box. I guess it depends on where you live and how you subscribe to the channel. I wouldn't necessarily go with the composite to s-video adapter though, as that TV box has both composite and s-video inpts (one of which will be used for the Xbox, the other for Sky).
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

Elmo just to let you know, ive just got the VGA cable and wow what a difference it makes compared to running it through my tv card. You would be much better off getting a monitor + VGA cable instead of running it through a video capture device.
Old April 15th, 2006, 03:22 PM

i got fed up of trying to find the rite kit to make all that work ,so i jus brought a HDTV

my god the games look AMAZING!!!!

defo worth the i spent on it

cheers for all the help tho guys much apriciated

ELMO