Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

Topic Tools
Old June 16th, 2018, 07:48 PM

Unhappy Junk email folder

Hi. I have a problem with my email folders. It keeps telling me there's a conflict. I have two junk folders for some reason, and it says to change one of the names on one of them. I tried and did not succeed. Can you tell me what to do?

Thankyou
Pat

Old June 16th, 2018, 08:10 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Which Mail system are you using?
Old June 16th, 2018, 09:38 PM

I'm using Microsoft Outlook

Thankyou
Old June 17th, 2018, 02:13 AM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsyscloud View Post
Hi. I have a problem with my email folders. It keeps telling me there's a conflict. I have two junk folders for some reason, and it says to change one of the names on one of them. I tried and did not succeed. Can you tell me what to do?

Thankyou
Pat
When you say you tried to change the name of one of the junk mail folders what exactly happened?
Old June 17th, 2018, 01:04 PM

I clicked on one of the junk mail folders, then clicked on new folder in the drop down window. Typed in a new name and all it did was say generating and kept saying that continually, and nothing happened so I closed it and tried again, and the same thing happened.

Thankyou
Pat
Old June 17th, 2018, 01:33 PM

Ok I found how to delete or rename the duplicate junk folder. Just hold the pen on the folder a window pops up it says delete, remove, rename. When I do that on each one it does the same thing. It says deleting, it keeps spinning and that's it. I have to shut my tablet down and reboot it. I tried to rename it to, and the same thing happens, this is weird.

Thankyou
Pat
Old June 17th, 2018, 04:25 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Is this Microsoft Outlook, part of Microsoft Office or is this Outlook, which used to be Live Email.

Like this one:

https://outlook.live.com/owa/

There are two different Outlooks. Also are you using Gmail? If so I found this solution:

1. Logged into my Gmail account with the browser.
  2. Went into 'Manage Labels' in the Gmail settings.
  3. Created a new label named 'Junk Email' at the top level. This label was named exactly as the duplicate folder was displayed in Outlook.
  4. I then waited a while to ensure that Outlook had fully synced with Gmail. Folder changes can take a few minutes or more to refresh in my experience (longer than emails). I waited about 10 minutes and also shut down Outlook and restarted it to be sure. Thankfully, step 3 did not result another (third) Junk Email folder appearing in Outlook.
  5. So then I logged back into Gmail using the browser, went into 'Manage Labels' again and 'removed' (deleted) the new Junk Email label that I had created in step 3.
  6. I waited again for Outlook to sync/refresh the folder list. After a short period, the Junk Email folder disappeared from Outlook.
I was assuming that this duplicate Junk Email folder was an orphan left over from updates to the way the folder list is displayed in recent version of Outlook, and hoping that my process would firstly re-connect the orphan to the new label and in turn allow me to delete the label and hence the folder in Outlook. It worked.

If using HOTMAIL then:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-57d15ed07615
Old June 17th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Jill

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Just was going to ask you the same thing Murf did.