Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old November 1st, 2019, 07:03 PM

Copying files on XP over

I have a triple boot laptop with XP, Win 7 in 32bit & 64bit with BCD program support, that gave me repair options for people I help.

I am now putting XP in a new home an old netbook, decided to preload a new XP build in it but have not quite decided how to transfer the old data over.

I can either:-

A) Use a third party software to create an image file then copy that onto this netbook.

B) Make a unallocated partition to copy my old XP onto so the new XP can "link" with it.

I did try to try "B" as a full data and system transfer but getting things to boot became complex as this net book is so different.

Which do you think is more functional in getting those old programs to work again that will be copied over?

Thanks for any help...........David

Old November 2nd, 2019, 03:26 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Why not just transfer everything using a USB drive?
Old November 2nd, 2019, 04:19 PM

Yes but I tend to call that a "dead" copy, good for pictures, text, music etc but no good if you want to keep old software installed alive and possibly working.

Thats why I asked the question, that type of copying used to be fun with Windows 3.1 and some 95 files but by Win98 got a problem with security levels and programs splattering their files all over a drive in various locations. Back then at least a program would say "can't find file xyz" so you found it copied then dumped it in the right folder.

That was my reason to ask how much of settings, links would be copied over by each method.

It was to get an idea from people who had tried either...

Many thanks from David
Old November 3rd, 2019, 11:35 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Regular XP Backup only copies data. One very real problem is that if you do something like clone the XP partition, the chances there will be enough of a match with the graphics etc. devices on the target computer would be unlikely (which I think you mentioned you kind of tried). Dead copy may be all you can do.