Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 20th, 2001, 10:23 PM

Launch.exe

what is launch.exe?--a friend sent me an email with subject "trouble" and an attachment that was Launch.exe and haven't heard from him since so maybe it wiped him out. I hadn't opened it as the Subject suggested to me that it might not be safe. Thanks a lot.

Old July 20th, 2001, 10:36 PM

Here is one possibility.

www.hungryminds.com/downloadable/multimedia/launch.html

Here is another

www.soniacoleman.com/Tutorials/PowerPoint/autorun_launch.htm

Launch is such a common computer term, that it could mean most anything. As you can see by the above links, one is a multimedia video-audio player, the other is a Power Point add in.

As a general rule however, I would never open any attachment until least scanned it first, with my AV program.

In this case, Attachment + Trouble = No way I'm going to touch this file till I can get in touch with my friend and see what the "trouble" was about.

Old July 21st, 2001, 08:31 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I agree with Rusty, Dont open it until you find out from your friend what he sent you. Even at that, make sure you scan it before opening.......
Old July 21st, 2001, 06:01 PM

MANY thanks for the answers--nice of you people! Could he have screwed up downloading it or could IT be a screwed up file and should he "remove" and start over?Grace
Old July 21st, 2001, 06:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Not really sure. I think I would wait to hear from the one that sent it. That way you know what it is for sure.... Just my opinion though....
Old July 21st, 2001, 08:00 PM

Like Dodge says, there is no way we could even guess. It is possible to have a file corrupted during downloading, especially if it is a compressed (zip) file. It doesn't happen that often, however when it does, the file is generally unusuable.

This is like asking us why a car wont start. There are a myriad of different possibilities.

Number One, Out of Gas
and so forth.

Opinions are a dime a dozen, and we will give you them when you ask for them. However when dealing with a technical problem, we will stick to the facts.

It could be is the best I can do.