Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Topic Tools
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Changing default

I have a external DVD/RW Drive and I want to make it the default drive so when I go to burn with it, it will come up first. It is connected through USB. Can I do this? Because when I go to burn a DVD with Microsoft Mediw Play it automaticlly goes to the CD-ROM drive.

Thank you
kuzzz

Old June 24th, 2011, 05:02 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Windows XP defaults to using the burner with the drive letter closest to the beginning of the alphabet as do many programs. So you need to change driver letters in disk management.

For XP:

1. Start and right click My Computer, choosing Manage from the list of options. In the Storage menu, choose Disk Management, then locate the drive you want to show up second in the list of available drives.

2. Right click this demoted drive and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths. Click Change, then choose a drive letter that's higher than your new drive. After you click OK on all open screens, you might need to reboot before the changes will be reflected in all your programs. This should force all applications on your system to view the new drive as default.

For VISTA

1. To change the default, Click Start > Computer, then right click any of your burners and choose Properties. From the Recording tab, choose the drive you want to be your default recording drive from the top dropdown list. Click OK and in most cases you're all set with a new default.
If not changing the drive letter like in XP will work.
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
That worked
thank you
kuzzz