Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Topic Tools
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Firefox Continually Shutting Down/Freezing

I've tried posting in Cyber Safety, was told I didn't have an infection...

I've posted in Windows Xp forum, and gotten zero response.

I'm hoping someone in here can help me out.

I've been experiencing alot of problems with Firefox lately. It will freeze up on me when doing the simplest of things, and I've gotten the error message "Sorry firefox has encountered a problem, needs to close, blah blah blah" more times than I can count. I've had FF installed for months, and have never had these problems...

My computer has also experienced a higher number of stop errors than normal too. I don't know if the two are related, but if someone can at least help me figure out what's wrong with FF I'll be happy.

I just installed the 1.5.4 or whatever the new version is that came out yesterday, and I have Adblock v.5 on here as well. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:44 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I doubt that this is anything to do with Firefox, especially if your computer has been generally less stable recently.
Are you running Adaware? In my opinion it is absolutely essential in order to track down and combat some of thse 'nasties' which can upset a computer.
It is here.

Also, what anti-virus are you running? Have you done a complete scan recently?
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:52 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Sounds like a spyware issue to me as well...I have used Firefox (and have the latest update (1.5.0.4)) since it debuted. HAve you tried using another browser similar...like Opera?(that too is written like Firefox)
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:15 PM

what stop errors have you been getting? you could have a problem that affects the overall stability of your system, bad memory, etc. does IE work? if you've installed Opera like mmherk suggests, does that work? if it is just firefox, you can do a clean reinstall and wipe your user profile. user profile corruption can cause strange firefox errors.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:28 PM

The stop errors have been 8E, C5 and D1 I believe...

They all had something to do with Drivers? I'm not sure...-_-

IE has worked fine, but I don't trust it with all the security issues it's had. Plus Firefox is a ton faster.

I really can't be bothered with another browser such as Opera.

I have Adaware and AVG virus software...I haven't run either, but the fact that the Cyber Safety guy told me he didn't think I had an infection made me think...I don't have an infection
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:42 PM

nah. its not an infection if you can still browse with IE. good old internet explorer is the first thing infections take down

stop errors due to drivers are fine compared to those due to failing hardware. if you've been installing unsigned drivers lately, install signed ones instead. lol

this is how you clean reinstall firefox. this will erase all bookmarks and settings.

before doing the following steps, you may consider starting firefox using the safe mode option it provides in its start menu program group. this is advisable if you have lots of extensions, since any one of those could be causing your problem. safe mode starts firefox with only the required components.

1. uninstall from control panel, go to program files to remove the firefox folder
2. start, run, type %appdata% in the box. this opens the application data folder. delete the Mozilla folder
3. download a fresh copy of the new firefox and install it. the link in my sig works.

just looked at it again. the 8E error could be due to bad RAM. try running other memory intensive programs. any similar problems? suggest that you test the physical memory

Last edited by jediforce; June 3rd, 2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:39 AM

You have to assume an infection. When my computer gets infected it becomes much less stable and most of the time running Adaware (are you serious that you have it but have not run it?) and Spybot tracks down the problem.
You don't say what anti-virus you are running. Obviously that needs to be checked out. There is another free online one (perhaps someone would remind of the URL of that which I have forgotten!) that goes even deeper and if you have infection it will certainly find it.
Are you saying that you never crash while using IE6?? If that is really correct use IE6 and Opera (more stable than Firefox in my humble opinion, although it has fewer 'bells and whistles'). Please bear in mind that 90% of us still use IE6 more than anything else, doesn't that suggest that the "security issues" may be exaggerated?
You will need to uninstall Firefox of course. When you have positively identified your problem you can always reinstall it later.
I don't use Firefox at all now because I found it unstable with half of its 'bells and whistles' not working properly - at least not on my computer.
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Another point is:
If you want a really fast browser, you could just hang on a few more weeks until the launch of IE7 which, if the beta 2 version is anything to go by, will be just as fast as Firefox and just as secure.
I think I am correct in saying that if you are using Win XP SP2 and currently have IE6 you will get the free upgrade.
Make no mistake: ultimately, IE must be on your computer in some form or certain things don't work!
Old June 4th, 2006, 02:30 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Lightbulb

The only reason that I have Opera installed is so that I can view pages that are made for IE only will work...and this way I do not have to compromise my OS. I have an IE extensiojn for Firefox..and I update my software all the time. I run my antispyware scans weekly.

The place that I got my antispyware tools is www.majorgeeks.com

Look under ''Spyware Tools''

Hope that helps.
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediforce
nah. its not an infection if you can still browse with IE. good old internet explorer is the first thing infections take down

stop errors due to drivers are fine compared to those due to failing hardware. if you've been installing unsigned drivers lately, install signed ones instead. lol

this is how you clean reinstall firefox. this will erase all bookmarks and settings.

before doing the following steps, you may consider starting firefox using the safe mode option it provides in its start menu program group. this is advisable if you have lots of extensions, since any one of those could be causing your problem. safe mode starts firefox with only the required components.

1. uninstall from control panel, go to program files to remove the firefox folder
2. start, run, type %appdata% in the box. this opens the application data folder. delete the Mozilla folder
3. download a fresh copy of the new firefox and install it. the link in my sig works.

just looked at it again. the 8E error could be due to bad RAM. try running other memory intensive programs. any similar problems? suggest that you test the physical memory
I had no idea about all these replies in here, so it's been a few days...

I may try reinstalling Firefox, not sure yet. Put that on the back burner for the moment.

How do I go about testing physical memory? How can I determine if that's what's causing my 8E errors?

To Campo:
I've had lots of crashing and slowness with IE6. Right after I got Firefox, I noticed how much better FF was than IE6, so I haven't used it. Even with all of it's issues lately, FF has still been running faster than IE6. I have thought about simply waiting for IE7 to come out, because I've heard it's faster and MUCH more secure than FF...if I can't solve my problems with FF I might very well do that, but not sure yet. I've grown accustomed to FF now, and I love the tabbed browsing.

I have Adaware and run it periodically. Incidentally, after reading this thread I ran it, and only had a few minor things to get rid of. Much better than when I had IE.

I haven't had as many stop errors lately, it's been a few days since I've seen one...however Firefox is still unreliable right now.
Old June 10th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Hi, posting again with new problems...

Both IE and Firefox seem to be crashing more often with Flash games. I've updated my Flash player as instructed, but it did nothing.

I got two more 8E stop errors in the process.

I'm sorry I keep posting in here, but these problems are becoming really aggravating, and I have no clue how to stop them as of yet. Thank you.