Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old July 27th, 2003, 03:24 AM

biosinfo.inf could not be loaded ...Help

Hi there all,

Ok here is the scoop. I have a corrupted registry and I am unable to boot into the recovery console with xp cd. I creadted the xp setup boot disks. I put the first one in and all seems well until I get a black screen for a couple of seconds and then I get an error " file \biosinfo.inf could not be loaded; error code 4096, cannot continue setup, press any key to exit. Please help and thanks in advance

Old July 27th, 2003, 05:52 AM

no such luck huh?

Well just in case someone can help with this issue here is what I have tried. I reset BIOS to all defaults. No go. I ran a bios update. No go. Still cannot run xp setup from the bootdisks cause of this error. Decided to try the cdrom again. I ran smartdrv from a bootable floppy and then ran the winnt file from the i386 folder but I get an error " could not find a place for swap file " any thoughts on this if we cannot figure out the first one. Thanks
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:37 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickin_it
Hi there all,

Ok here is the scoop. I have a corrupted registry and I am unable to boot into the recovery console with xp cd. I creadted the xp setup boot disks. I put the first one in and all seems well until I get a black screen for a couple of seconds and then I get an error " file \biosinfo.inf could not be loaded; error code 4096, cannot continue setup, press any key to exit. Please help and thanks in advance

Kickin_it how did you fix this problem, or any one else who knows how to I am having the same problem, any ideas?

Last edited by M_M; February 27th, 2005 at 04:40 AM.
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:42 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Kickin_it & M_M,
Biosinfo.inf appears to be part of a Windows installer routine; the only incidence of it on my system is in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386. I don't know if you can find the right file to copy to the floppy that you're trying to boot from, or not.
Photolady posted a link to a XP help site that might help you: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
You may be able to do a repair reinstall.
Otherwise, I'm not experienced enough with XP yet to be of much help
But, HTH.
Oops--just noticed the date of the original post

Last edited by Strider; February 27th, 2005 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Age or original post
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:41 PM

biosinfo.inf

The way I fixed it was to hit r to go in to the repair console
then i went to my windows install cd in the i386 directory
i copied biosinfo.inf file from their to c:\windows\inf

then rebooted and it came back up
Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:11 AM

BiosInfo.inf / error 4096

The best way to solve this problem is to:

1. Boot with Windows 98 Boot Floopy (Make sure that your Win XP CD is in the CD/DVD Drive)
2. at the A:\ prompt type: D: then press enter
3. at the D:\ prompt type: cd i386 then press enter
4. at the D:\i386\ prompt type: copy biosinfo.inf C: then press enter
5. remove floppy disk & CD
6. restart pc
7. select normal
8. by now hopefully you will be smiling !
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. I tried the win98 disk, but it does not seem to detect that there is a cd drive. D: returns the error "Invalid drive specification". As does C: which is worrying.

Any ideas?
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:30 PM

Hi DQuaN,
You should start a new thread; only those of us who have posted in this one will see your question.
Are you trying to boot from a Win98 floppy? If so, did you tell it 'with CD-ROM support? If yes, and you're getting 'invalid drive specification' on 2 physical drives (on the same cable?), first check that the data cable is plugged in to the motherboard. If it is, it might be the IDE controller that has failed
Good luck.
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM

Will do. Thanks.
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM

XP restart over and over

I am having much the same problem except, I swaped my bad DVD/burner for a CD burner I knew was functional but when I did the sys would shut itself off before it even got to the xp page. I swapped back to the original DVD/burner and now it does the same thing, powers off completely before I have a chance to get into the bios. I also disconnected a slave drive I had in there just in case that was a problem but it made no difference. When I reboot it sounds like the fan of drive is "reving" and then is shuts down afater approx. 30 secs.

The motherboard is a P5V800-MX-UAYGZ by ASUS.

Hard to get much info from the screen, comes and goes too fast.

Any clue?

ERROR DISPLAYED (i386\biosinfo.inf Could not be loaded error code 4096)
Thanks,

barneye

Last edited by barneye; July 1st, 2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: oops
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:55 AM

Barneye, you'll have more people see your questions if you start a new thread. Only those of us who have posted in this one will be notified that you posted here.
Your question... You say that you don't have a chance of getting into the BIOS, that something is spinning up, and the error message is ...biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. Is there a CD in the drive? That will cause the CD drive to spin up.
It sounds almost like a power supply problem. Are you trying to enter the BIOS right after powering on; i.e., right after the beep? The file biosinfo.inf is a Windows component, so your system is getting part way into booting up.
What I would try, if you haven't, is to disconnect both the data and power cables from all CD and DVD drives, and then see if it will boot. If it does, then check the jumper settings on the drives. If your computer still won't boot, try booting into safe mode by mashing F8 right after the initial beep.
If you start a new thread, post back in this thread so I can find the new thread. Also, for the next week I'll have only limited internet access, so it may be a day before I find your posts and have a chance to respond.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:15 AM

possible solution to biosinfo.inf

First of all, thanks to the previous posts from this forum...I searched dozens of forums and this was the most helpful. I had the exact same problem with the biosinfo.inf error message, and finally solved it...

Basically I used the Recovery Console to delete and replace the biosinfo.inf file. I restarted my computer with the XP CD in the CD drive, then I pressed "R" for recovery console when that option became available. A choice came up and I entered "1" which took me to the C:\Windows prompt.

At that prompt, I typed "cd i386" and then I was in the C:\windows\i386 directory. The biosinfo.inf file is located there.
I deleted the file by typing "del biosinfo.inf"
Then I simply restarted the computer...and everything worked!! It was a wonderful feeling

What I had originally tried, from instructions found on various forums like this one, was to copy biosinfo.inf from the XP CD into the C:\windows\i386 folder. I tried that, and it didn't work. I then tried copying the file from my dad's computer onto my USB flash drive, then from the flash drive onto my C:\ drive. Still no success. Even though I was copying a clean file, it still said it was missing or corrupt. But for some reason, deleting the file and NOT replacing it, and then letting the XP CD load a fresh version, seemed to work.

Hope this helps anyone in the future!
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:31 AM

I have tried everyone's suggestions on this forum. However, when I try and replace the biosinfo.inf with a clean version of it. I get the blue screen of death and it tells me that it's a Bad Pool Header. Whatever that means. I've tried just deleting the file and that does not work either. I can't seem to get anything to work.

conblue when you said you got into the C:/Windows/i386 directory are u sure that's what it's called and it's on the C: drive becasue No directory is found when I try to get into that one. My biosinfo is located in C:/windows/inf/ and even deleting it there doesn't work.

Anyone have any more suggestions

Last edited by JeffreyatIU; August 13th, 2007 at 12:36 AM.
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:58 PM

Hi Jeffrey at IU,
Would that be Indiana?
I searched on 'bad pool header' and the suggestions I found point to failing hardware or a driver problem. If you've recently installed new hardware or updated a driver and if that coincides with the start of the blue screens, try removing the hardware or updating the driver. Video cards/drivers appear to be particularly suspect.
HTH or at least gives you some ideas to try.
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Strider, yeah it's Indiana University. And thanks. I got the blue screen of death when I tried to replace biosinfo.inf with a new one. but then I just deleted it and reinstalled windows and it's been working fine so far. but who knows. My computer may have damage anyway it's a laptop and I spilled Soda on it not long after i got it bout a year and a half ago. and then the beginning of this year it died on me. and my friend who knows a little about computers couldn't get it to work so I bought a new one. but i was bored the other day and decided to research and try to fix it. so I did. and now it works. for now