Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old August 26th, 2003, 12:16 AM

Found a way to convert NTFS to Fat32

goto this web site and it explains the problem that happens in PM8 and what to do

http://www.buildorbuy.org/ntfstofat32.html

Old August 26th, 2003, 12:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
A few of things bother me about that link.

1) Where it says from the Command Prompt (START-Programs-Accessories-Command Prompt )
followed by "CD/" to change to the root directory

the actual parameter is CD\ to go to root.

That's neither here nor there...could just be a typo but...

2) The big one is there is no DOS command compact for Windows 95/98/98SE/ME.
It's only a Windows XP/2000 command. Running compact on the root
could also create problem for someone trying recovery tools down the road.
compact will normally ignore hidden system files but the /A switch
will ignore default and compress the system hidden files. This could also be
detrimental to a user trying recovery tools.

3) Telling someone to turn off System Restore to perform the "tweak" and then
not instructing them to turn it back on later could prove to be a nightmare for
many users.

These are merely my opinions only.
Old August 27th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Lightbulb

Hi Spider and s_at_home,

One can also use partition magic 7 or 8 (convert partition function) I have switched back and forth several times with out any problem. I also have a Fat32 and NTFS images on an external hdd just in case things go badly.

Just thought O would put my 2 cents worth in here.
Old October 5th, 2003, 02:59 PM

almost worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1kra
Hi Spider and s_at_home,

One can also use partition magic 7 or 8 (convert partition function) I have switched back and forth several times with out any problem. I also have a Fat32 and NTFS images on an external hdd just in case things go badly.

Just thought O would put my 2 cents worth in here.
Hi. I thought that this program would help me convert to fat32 since I have had an enormous amount of trouble reinstalling with a fat32 from a ntfs parition, however an error was produced- that the data is compressed or sparse and prevented me from converting.

what do you say to this? is there a way around this and or can you help me get fat32 using windows xp reinstall.

Note: I tried to reinstall (fresh install) with this format but no option other than ntfs was provided.

I will check the website for help, but please also provide some help.

thanks
Old October 5th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petertwelves12
Hi. I thought that this program would help me convert to fat32 since I have had an enormous amount of trouble reinstalling with a fat32 from a ntfs parition, however an error was produced- that the data is compressed or sparse and prevented me from converting.

what do you say to this? is there a way around this and or can you help me get fat32 using windows xp reinstall.

Note: I tried to reinstall (fresh install) with this format but no option other than ntfs was provided.

thanks
If you're starting from scratch, don't convert, just delete the partitions on the disk (all of them) and re-partition it with FAT 32 instead of NTFS, this way you definitely bypass the flawed conversion process.

I don't understand why you'd want to go to FAT from NTFS anyway. NTFS has much better security (FAT has none) and is more efficient than FAT.
Old October 5th, 2003, 04:23 PM

Goto this web site . It eplains how to convert from XPs ntfs to FAT32
if this does not work you will have to nuke / clear you drive and re-format your drive and re-install your op system

Remember that XP will only allow you to convert partitions of 32 mb to FAT32 otherwise it only gives you NTFS as Microsoft think anything lager is a waster of slack space that FAT32 profuces but if you set the sectors to 16k block rather that 32k block the waste is minimal but dont go beyond 128 gigs else it really will be a waste if space.

If your using it to backup very large file like ghost images like i do then there will be NO slack space at all vurtually

The easy ay to byepass winXP 32 gig limit is to make a win89 Second edition boot disk from a friend in(controll panel add remove software , startup disk tab)

Boot off this and it will partition format any interupt 13 disk (non removable usually) to FAT 32

first remove unlug any drive from your system that you dont want to convert or make a mistake on. that way the only drive in yours sytem will be the one it finds

boot off the startup disk and choose no cdrom support
a:> fdisk (enter)(choosel large support when it askes)
creat primary partition (it will verify)
choose maximum space to be used when it askes used it will verify again
choose yes
restart PC
then boot off the startup disk and
a:>format c: asuming this is the drive you want to convert over

when you have fdisked you drive as FAT32 and formated as FAT32 then windows XP new install will ask to convert it or leave it as it it is when you next goto intall it.

No doubt i will get some other people saying i have made some minor omitions or spelling mistake but what can one expect for FREE

gotot this web site to explain it all

hope this helps

Ross

Quote:

thanks
Old October 6th, 2003, 05:39 AM

because

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons
If you're starting from scratch, don't convert, just delete the partitions on the disk (all of them) and re-partition it with FAT 32 instead of NTFS, this way you definitely bypass the flawed conversion process.

I don't understand why you'd want to go to FAT from NTFS anyway. NTFS has much better security (FAT has none) and is more efficient than FAT.
xp said that if I choose NFTS I poosibly will not be able to read documents and files from older windows. I may need this option as I switch between our windows 98 and my xp system.
Old October 6th, 2003, 10:01 PM

Quote:
xp said that if I choose NFTS I poosibly will not be able to read documents and files from older windows. I may need this option as I switch between our windows 98 and my xp system.

My 2 cents worth.

If Partition Magic convert partition will not work then one may have to bite the bullet and hose the contents of the partition or drive. I have FAT 32 partitions on my XP system, as I also have Win 98SE on another puter in my home and pcmcia and usb external hdd's. NTFS just will not work with my 98SE (can't see the files in the partitions) So I converted all partitions internal and external to FAT 32, so I would be working in only one file system.

I am not aware of any partition that PM cannot convert without file loss. If PM does not work then a fdisk and reformat is in order, this will blitz everything on the disk and one can then format the disc as FAT 32 as suggested previously.

Good luck and post back
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Windows does not have a built-in tool to convert backwards, like one can to convert from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS --Partition Magic, but it often conversions fail, or destroy data. I read how to safely convert ntfs to fat32: Free Partition Manager - Partition Assistant 2.1 Home Edition

*LINK EDITED BY MODERATOR - to point directly to the freeware version*