Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Topic Tools
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Computer will only start in safe mode

I was installing ms backup in window 98 with win 98 cd when I finished it requested that I restart the computer, I did but the computer did not start in the normal mode instead it started in the safe mode and so far I am unable to get it start in the normal mode.

I deleted the ms backup also I did a restore of the register and the is no error there .
Can anyone please advise how to solve this problem.
Thanks

Old May 12th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Are you sure you're in safe mode? does it say windows is starting in safe mode? Have you tried asking it to start in normal? do this by

start>run "msconfig">general>advanced>check "enable startup menu">ok>ok>yes

In safe mode or low resolution you might not see the "advanced" button or the "ok" buttons, try moving the panel up as far as you can, for the "ok's" just hittting return will do it. For the advanced, try the tab button, it might move the screen display.

then select normal when asked.

Last edited by wig; May 12th, 2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wig
Are you sure you're in safe mode? does it say windows is starting in safe mode? Have you tried asking it to start in normal? do this by

start>run "msconfig">general>advanced>check "enable startup menu">ok>ok>yes

In safe mode or low resolution you might not see the "advanced" button or the "ok" buttons, try moving the panel up as far as you can, for the "ok's" just hittting return will do it. For the advanced, try the tab button, it might move the screen display.

then select normal when asked.

Thanks for your reply I followed your instructions but it still didn't start up.
I then reinstall win 98 and that did not solve the problem.

At present when I start the computer it try to boot and when it reaches the last stage it would reboot and after two tries a page come with the options of (1) NORMAL
(2) STEP BY STEP
(3) SAFE MODE
etc.
Do you have any other suggestion please.
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:11 AM

I'm afraid I'm not clever enough to offer anymore. When you select "Normal" I suppose it ignores you and goes for safe mode?

If I was you I would try "step by step" and do some trial and error. I think it asks stuff like enable running processes yes/no

So maybe you could start by entering yes to all questions, write them down as you go, and maybe after clicking yes you will see it fail, then on your next boot, select "no" to that qu. and see what happens.

I'm no expert, but, I always "have a go".