Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows XP

Notices

Topic Tools
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:23 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Cannot find server or DNS Error Internet Explorer (page cannot be displayed)

This is just amazing... I have tried getting help from Microsoft and Dell... and both keep pushing me off on the other.

Here is my problem.

I am using Windows XP Home and I am getting "Cannot find server or DNS Error Internet Explorer" "Page cannot be displayed" on only certain websites... I can not access what seems to be secured sites, for instance, my email accounts, bank accounts, pogo games sites and chat rooms for technical help. I have been to Microsoft self help pages, and tried everything I can think of, and to also Dell self help pages, doing the same. I have also come across something, and I am not sure it's related... When I go to tools dropdown on IE (6.0), then to internet options, then to the content tab, then click on certificates, and to trusted root certification authorities, and then click on one of many of the entries there, and on the entries tab under certificate information, it says "a system level error occured while verifying trust", then on the certification path tab, under certification status, it says "This certificate has an nonvalid digital signature."

Is there anything anyone can do to help me?

I have scanned for viruses, spyware, adware.... went to add and removed windows components, and clicked on internet explorer. I have even went to netscape and starting using it... still having problems.

Old August 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
See Internet Explorer Cannot Connect to Secure Web Sites for all the possible causes and the fixes.

Please post back with the results, good or bad.
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM

Miz

Thanks for the link... I tried all, but to no help. I even deleted my admin account, and reloaded it. Also tried using netscape instead of IE... It is a little bit better, I can get into some secured sites, but still not all
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:25 PM

It will be your firewall security settings. Look in the allow list and enter the sites you wish unblocked. Also if you are using Norton lower the firewall setting a little, Nortons known for causing this to happen.
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Moorlander

Thanks for the response. I don't have Norton firewall, but I do have Microsoft Firewall. I couldn't find a place for an allow list to enter the sites I wanted to unblock. I found a place to list the programs on my computer, but not internet sites. I even tried to turn off the firewall. HELP... I am not very computer smart.
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:11 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Actually this may not be the security settings - if I read the post correctly you can access SOME SECURE sites but not others?

This sounds like a DNS (Domain Name Service) issue.

Is the computer new? If not could you access web sites in the past?
If so your computer may have 'remebered' how to get to some sites but has lost the ability to translate the address of new (new to you) websites.

If this is true then your problem is to do with your connection to the Internet and the Internet Service Provider (ISP) that you are using.

This may all be overcomplex and totoally wrong of course - Let me know if this sounds like your probem and if so who your ISP is.

UM
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:53 PM

UrbanMoth

Thanks for responding. You are correct with accessing some secure sites. The computer is fairly new... bought it in feb of this year. Been having nothing but problems since I got it... (Dell) I was able to access these sites until just recently... about a week ago

my ISP is comcast (cable), and I did call them when this all started, and they told me that I needed to contact Dell... Maybe I need to contact comcast again?
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:10 PM

OK,

I understand that Comcast DO have (or did have) issues with thier DNS servers back in June \ July - may still have some issues.

I do not know enough about your setup to say that this is the problem but you could do alot worse than downloading 'TreeWalk' from http://ntcanuck.com/downloads.htm

This basically installs a small DNS server on your machine - I use this instead of my own Cable Companies DNS server simply because it is FAST (and I mean FAST...). It is quite small and is quick and easy to install, no config.

Try it (assuming you can get to the site!) and let me know.
If this makes no difference then you at least you have eliminated comcast's DNS servers

UM
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:52 PM

UrbanMoth

Thanks for the help... it seems to have help some... I can get into more sites, and so far, the only site that I am still having problems with is the individual game rooms in Pogo.com. I can get into the main pages, all the way back to the individual game rooms. But when I go to open a game lobby... it dumps all of my browser rooms. Any thoughts?
Old September 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Not too sure what you mean by 'dumps all of my browser rooms' (sounds painful ).

It sounds like a different problem to me - is it only this site? Did you have to install anything when you first visited this site - some browser plug-in or some such? If so this code could be corrupt but I am just guessing here.....

UM