Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows 10 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Windows 10 will not sleep (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=234312)

Jerry56 September 7th, 2020 05:30 PM

Windows 10 will not sleep

I have Dell PC with windows 10, It always go to sleep without any problem but lately it stop going to sleep and when I put it to sleep it would wake up after a few minutes .
So far i ran Malware byte, window defender, I tried power & sleep and in Device Manager (network adopter) all with negative result.
I suspect that it may be a virus and post a topic in " Malware" but no trace of virus was found.
I then uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer" in network adopter now when I put the coputer to sleep it will stay asleep but it will no go to sleep by itself.
Do you have any suggestion .?

Jintan September 8th, 2020 01:03 PM

I wonder if CCleaner is the culprit there. It runs every startup and has a task involved and so is a running process at all times. Since it is fairly easy to download and install, why not try uninstalling it and rebooting and checking on that sleep problem after.

Digerati September 8th, 2020 02:56 PM

Did I miss something? I don't see where Jerry said he has CCleaner installed.

And I note running the cleaner at start is an option that can easily be disabled from the Settings page. And I'm not sure about the full time service running if that option is checked but I just looked at 3 systems here. All have only the free version of CCleaner installed. None have that option checked, nor are updates applied automatically and so none have any services running full time. And all computers go to sleep as expected.

Now if the user has CCleaner Professional, that does have some real-time functions - like Smart Cleaning. I have not heard of any reports of CCleaner keeping computers from going to sleep but disabling any real-time components is worth checking out.

@Jerry56 - have you done a "cold" reboot? By "cold", I mean to shutdown your computer normally, then unplug the computer from the wall for 30 seconds or so. Then connect, boot, use normally and then see if it goes to sleep as expected.

See, How to Find Out What's Keeping Your Computer from Going to Sleep and How to Find Out What Woke Up Your Computer Last.

IPR512 September 8th, 2020 06:54 PM

I think I saw CCleaner on the logs he posted in the Malware Forum.

renegade600 September 8th, 2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digerati (Post 1308537)
Did I miss something? I don't see where Jerry said he has CCleaner installed.

Yep, you did miss something :-) he just posted a couple of logs in the malware forum and was sent here since no malware was found.

Digerati September 8th, 2020 09:48 PM

Okay, thanks. The rest of my comment still applies.

Jerry56 September 9th, 2020 05:14 PM

Yesterday there was a Framework update and after that the computer start to go to sleep by itself, so i going watch it for a few days to see what happen.

Digerati September 10th, 2020 04:14 PM

Interesting. Please do keep us posted.

Jerry56 September 13th, 2020 10:12 PM

Its still going to sleep on its own.

Digerati September 14th, 2020 05:03 PM

Great!