Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Remote Desktop connection not working...(Moved from W7) (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=217428)

abbyqueue November 15th, 2011 04:32 PM

Remote Desktop connection not working...(Moved from W7)

Hi all. I connect to my home PC (running Windows 7 Professional) from work all the time. In the last few weeks, it's stopped working -- I get the "Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons..." message.

The only firewall I'm running is Windows Firewall, and I've enabled all Remote applications to be allowed through the firewall.

I've triple-checked my IP address by going to whatismyip.com, my usual method.

I also use LogMeIn, and I can log into the computer and change settings and stuff from work right now, so I know the computer's on and not hibernating, it's connected to the Internet, and there are no memory issues.

I'm at a loss. LogMeIn's rendering is very slow compared to Remote Desktop so I definitely need this functionality. What am I missing?

Thanks for all your help!

AnnMarie November 17th, 2011 05:22 AM

Hi abbyqueue. Does your work computer also run Windows 7 Professional?

abbyqueue November 17th, 2011 04:51 PM

Not sure -- I connect from several different computers to my home computer. They all run some version of Windows 7. It worked fine up until a few weeks ago.

AnnMarie November 18th, 2011 01:38 AM

Have you worked your way through all the suggestions here?

abbyqueue November 18th, 2011 09:47 PM

Yes, I have.

AnnMarie November 18th, 2011 10:07 PM

Ok. In that case, I am transferring your topic to the Networking Forum for more assistance. The issue may be more complex than what we normally deal with here.

abbyqueue November 18th, 2011 10:08 PM

I posted it in the Networking forum first... I got no replies there, and was referred here instead. :(

AnnMarie November 18th, 2011 10:11 PM

Your problem may have been overlooked abbyqueue. If the issue is not software related and it would appear that it's not, the next item to look at at is your network or router and I dont have the expertise to help you with this.

z1p November 22nd, 2011 08:59 PM

Hi abbyqueue.

Do you know if any changes have been made to your network or your work's networK?
Can you remote desktop into you machine from another machine on your network?

abbyqueue November 26th, 2011 01:43 AM

No changes have been made to my knowledge. I can't remote into my machine from ANY other computer, at work or otherwise, which of course makes me think that it's my computer's issue, not a network one.

z1p November 27th, 2011 03:40 AM

OK let's by taking a quick peek under the covers to see that RD is up and listening on your computer.

Open a command window [start menu->run->cmd]
in the window that comes up enter netstat -an
This will produce a list of of network ports in use on your system. You want to look for something like:

TCP 192.168.1.100:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

Instead of "192.168.1.100", it will show your machine's IP address, but the rest should be the same. This will show us if your computer is 'LISTENING' for incoming RD connections. [port 3389 is the port used for RD]

abbyqueue November 27th, 2011 07:20 PM

Okay, I got:

TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP [::]:3389 [::]:0 LISTENING

Those are the only two listed with 3389 in them.

abbyqueue August 25th, 2012 04:52 PM

...is anyone still around for this topic? I never heard a reply and then it started working again randomly so I didn't post back. Here we are again now, not working for some months at this point, so I ran the netstat -an command again and got the same results as before.

rickyaliasgar January 15th, 2013 12:39 PM

You can try deploying on premise remote support appliance such as RHUB or Bomgar appliances in order to remotely access your home computer from work. It is easy to use, provides good speed and is only one time cost as compared to hosted services