Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Hardware (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Upgrading (Need advice) (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=189813)

evilracer November 7th, 2008 09:20 AM

Upgrading (Need advice)

Hi, here's my current config

Intel Celeron D 331 (2.66GHz)
Intel 865GSA
Kingston 256 + 512 MB DDR ram (400 MHz)
Inno3d Geforce MX4000 64 MB (32-bit)

im thinking of upgrading...but i have limited options

Mobo

A
- Asus P5KPL-VM (Has Intel GMA3100...this isnt X3100 by any means)
- Asus P5N-MX (Has nForce 610i / Geforce 7050)

B
- Asus P5GC-MX
- Asus P5GV-MX
- Asus P5S-MX SE
- Asus P5SD2-VM

Now if i buy Any motherboard from Group A, I cannot buy a used Nvidia 6600LE 128 MB 64-Bit PCX card, and i will share 256 MB of my 1 GB corsair XMS (667 mhz)

So, please suggest which would be better performance?
- the nforce chipset one
- the gma3100 one
- or any board in grp B with 6600 LE, if u can...then also tell which board in grp be is better (if u suggest this option)

also, although i am sure all these mobo's support my processor (celeron D 331), please confirm this too

also, please tell me which of these boards has the best audio quality (or codec) coz i use an old amp from line-out (doesnt have spdif)

My hdd is western digital SATA ... but ide support wud be great too

also will i be able to have a tv-out with the nforce board?
i notice some of them have Gb lan or Mb, wudnt make too much difference for me

plz note that this pc will not be for gaming...i just use photoshop n stuff...just a casual upgrade, but i wud like to have bang for buck thats y im asking

thanks A lot!

MaDef November 7th, 2008 01:01 PM

If you want tv out you need the video card. You also use photoshop so not having to use system memory for graphics will give you better performance.

I wouldn't use the P5GV-MX since the fsb is limited to 533/800 mhz and the ide channel only supports udma of 100/66/33, not a big deal unless your ide drive supports 133, if it does then that board will slow your drives access speed.

The P5S-MX SE isn't bad, I'm not familiar with the SIS chipset though, it it doesn't have the spdif out header.

The P5SD2 VM does have a spdif header and you can either buy the bracket or build one with parts from radio shack for about 5$.

I don't think you'll notice much of a difference in the audio between the soundmax and the realtech chipsets. The realtech seems to be the more popular one, since I see it on more systems than the soundmax. for everyday computing either one should work.

my personal preference would be the P5N MX beacause it has raid support. Then I would just add the video card.

Is there a specific reason you can't put the video card into your group "A" board?
if it's budget restrictions, give us your budget, we might be able to come up with a best bang for the buck deal.

evilracer November 7th, 2008 02:42 PM

yes, budget is the reason...
well, im in pakistan, and theres only 1 shop which provides the most hardware here...
http://www.galaxy.pk/ (they have online prices)

im going to sell my mobo, ram, gfx card and tv tuner card
D865GSA = PKR 3500
256 + 512 MB RAM = PKR 1700
Inno3d Geforce4 mx4000 64 mb = PKR 500
Pixelview PlayTV MPEG 8000GT = PKR 1500
Total = PKR 6200

now i have to buy another mobo, 1 GB ram, gfx card and tv tuner

for RAM, I have planned Corsair XMS 1GB DDR2 800 Mhz = PKR 1500 (should i get value select, which is 225 Rs less? and 667 mhz)
Mercury Ez View TV Tuner Card = PKR 1600
Total : PKR 3100

6200 - 3100 = PKR 3100... I can add around 1500 by myself
so it leaves 4600 pkr for gfx card and mobo

(boards in grp A are 3650 and 3700 pkr)
I can only buy the stuff thats available on www.galaxy.pk (and im going tomorrow!!!)

also, do u think this wud be a good choice http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...11&l3=237&l4=0 ?( but it wont support future proccies and has only DDR)

lol...looks like i miscalculated...the first total comes out to be 7200 insted of 6200 :D lemme check

evilracer November 7th, 2008 03:45 PM

ok .. sorry for that

heres the new budget

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24006849@N08/3010627316/

or if theres any better board from this list, http://www.galaxy.pk/forms/motherboard.htm
for a lower price to go with 7300GS, how will that be?

that 7300 GS is actually 256 MB TC 512 MB :s dunno what that means...but xfx only has 256 mb version on their site)
(man im so confused :s)

MaDef November 7th, 2008 08:38 PM

7200pkr is your budget, (I have no clue what that converts to in US dollars):)

seeing that you you're not doing any gaming, or overclocking, keep the P5N-MX board, drop memory to 667mhz but add another 1gig stick, then go ahead and drop the video card, that gives you at least 1.5gigs of memory depending on how much system ram you let the onboard video use. that drops the price down to 8050Rs.
You can also keep the P5SD2-VM and save another 250Rs, although future upgrades will be a bit more limiting. That puts the price at 7800Rs.

Don't go with the P5GV-MX, unless you plan on building a future system from scratch, rather than an upgrade.

evilracer November 7th, 2008 09:02 PM

hehe, thats y i didnt mention anything about the budget in the 1st post :P

well...everything's fixed and if all goes well, i'll have the P5N-MX + 7300GS + 1GB ram 667+ Asus wifi pci card. and i just realized P5GV-MX is more expensive than p5n-mx

no, i'm buying these things mainly bcoz i cant upgrade my proccy on this board...will upgrade it afterwards when i have enough cash

so, is this ok, or should i really drop the gfx card and go with 2 gb ram? will only be able to share 256 mb max....and if u really think i should go with 2 gb...why not on a single stick?? (is 200 rs cheaper)

to convert... google = (amount) Pkr to usd :D but wont help neither of us coz i can choose only from that list :)

MaDef November 8th, 2008 03:58 AM

With the P5N-MX you can go with one 2gig stick, I was thinking in terms of dual channel motherboard, that board doesnt have it. so no big deal. Speaking for myself, I would go with a 2gig stick and drop the video card, You aren't gaming or using any 3d programs, so imo the graphics card isn't really necessary.

Todays exchange rate is 1 US dollar = 80.81 PKR

evilracer November 8th, 2008 07:19 AM

hmm ur right, but actually...i do use a bit of the gpu like in ubuntu's compiz/beryl thing and now vista's effects...wouldnt the gfx card make all that eye candy smooth??
anyways...im going to the market now...lets see what happens :)

thanks for all the help :D

MaDef November 8th, 2008 08:08 AM

Not sure about the linux thing but you shouldn't have any problems running vista's eyecandy with the onboard graphics, that depends more on ram and proccessor speed.

evilracer November 9th, 2008 06:07 PM

well....my budget met destruction :P so i could only buy the 1GB stick and p5nmx...the performance is ofcourse a lot better than my last config so im satisfied :)
well, i can buy the wifi card, gfx card and tv tuner later
thanks for all the help...i wouldve bought something else if u didnt suggest p5nmx :)

(ran vista's effects really smoothly...but i dont like vista for some reason so i installed xp again :D)

uniquepest October 2nd, 2020 05:33 PM

Spam Removed.

IPR512 October 2nd, 2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uniquepest (Post 1308617)
Mod removed spam link.

Hey stupid somebody needs to exterminate you, and your stinking spam.

Ensign Tzap October 2nd, 2020 11:12 PM

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Db1oT7s12...xterminate.jpg
EXTERMINATE THE SPAM!!!!

IPR512 October 3rd, 2020 12:40 AM

Nice job Ensign!

Jintan October 3rd, 2020 03:29 PM

Just did a little tidying up in this thread. Please notify a Mod when you run into spam.