Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Hardware (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Partitioning Hard Drive Advice (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=162965)

Brian Stevens August 19th, 2007 07:32 PM

Partitioning Hard Drive Advice

I am about to use Acronis Disk Director to ceate another partition to keep the OS and Programs/Data seperate.

What partition size should I leave XP in?

Also when I copy everything else from the existing partition to the new one is it really that simple?

Any other advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

l337_GuY August 19th, 2007 09:05 PM

Quote:

How big is your HDD? I would have XP on atleast a 10-15GB partition which gives it room for updates etc.
Quote:

Also when I copy everything else from the existing partition to the new one is it really that simple?
No. If you are moving programs, They will probably not work until you fix up shortcuts to the programs. And maybe some programs might not run from a different drive letter due to the registry entries (Just need to reinstall those programs).

Brian Stevens August 20th, 2007 08:07 PM

Other than Windows is there anything else I should leave in the existing smaller partition?

Answerth August 20th, 2007 09:16 PM

possibly antivirus,
the way ive always done it is windows and a few main programs on one, then everything else, (big programs, games, data-music movies photos) on te other, but keeping your small one clean will be good for boot times and less clutter on your main partition.

l337_GuY August 21st, 2007 06:24 AM

Up to you what you want to put on them. Try abit of experimenting and see what works better on your setup.

JabberMan August 21st, 2007 11:20 AM

Quote:

My Xp partition is about 50 Gb (but I think 30Gb would be quite enough). I separate there os and programs. And another partition for my data.

Quote:

I am about to use Acronis Disk Director to ceate another partition to keep the OS and Programs/Data seperate.
Good choice

Brian Stevens August 21st, 2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l337_GuY (Post 896286)
Up to you what you want to put on them. Try abit of experimenting and see what works better on your setup.

Here is what I am thinking of doing:-

Partition C - Windows folder

Partition D - Everything else residing in the current single partition.

My next question is that there are obviously "hidden" system files in the partition. I assume they need to stay with the Windows folder in the new C partition.
Also can I move the main Documents and Settings folder into the D partition.

As it is the first time I am attempting this I am trying to get the best option, you all think, I could follow that won't cause me any/many problems.

Thanks for the advice so far.:happy:

l337_GuY August 21st, 2007 08:55 PM

I'm not sure about that documents and setting folder because it is apart of Windows and has the user's etc.

You can move My Documents folder though. Just right click My Documents in the Start menu and click Properties. Then while in the Target tab, Click the "Move..." button.

oracle128 August 22nd, 2007 09:13 AM

You can move Documents and Settings, but it requires a registry edit. But you don't really need to, moving just My Documents is easier anyway, and that's where most of your data will go.

I've experimented with having the same as Answerth, Windows and important programs on primary partition (Windows, Office, AntiVirus, Drivers etc), other programs and data on second partition. It doesn't work too well though - if you have to format the C drive, you'll find that most of the programs installed on the other partition will break, and will have to be reinstalled anyway. It's best to keep a second partition solely for unrelated user files, and install everything alongside Windows.