Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Windows 98 (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Task Manager/Task List (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=82876)

chukeej July 15th, 2005 09:32 PM

Task Manager/Task List

http://cybertechhelp.com/forums/imag...lies/frown.gif In Feb/2005 I acquired a (1999) used IBM365X Thinkpad with Win98SE. I cleaned up quite a lot of Internet temporary files/temp/.chk/.log files and unused programs from way back b4 I owned it. I am quite sure I did Ctrl+Alt+Del or ran msconfig and made a list of Startup/Processes items. I do have a list I believe was what I wrote down when I ran msconfig or CtrlAltDel...but now I'm not so sure bcuz it contains a lot of weird stuff. I do'nt use this laptop frequently (instead I normally use my WinXP pc). When I run Scandisk on the Thinkpad laptop it finds a lot of 'bad sectors' but it will complete the scan, but won't complete a "defrag" - goes to like 33% and stalls.
I have recently d/loaded ZoneAlarm/Spybot S&D/and AVG - but haven't installed them yet bcuz I would like to defrag first b4 installing them. (could I go ahead and install these b4 I try to defrag?)
Another problem is: when I try to get back into Task Manager/Task List by CtrlAltDel or Run msconfig, this task doesn't even show up on the Thinkpad.
What can I do? (a) go ahead and install ZA/AVG/SS&D first - then 'defrag'?
(b) how can I complete the 'defrag' and (c) how can I access Task Manager again? Thanks for any helpful solutions.

Jintan July 17th, 2005 12:03 AM

Howdy chukeej,
Some of what you describe could be malware related, including the Task Manager problem. For the moment, hold off on loading ZoneAlarm or any other firewall programs - it would complicate the situation. Go Here and follow the instructions for downloading and running some CTH Cyber Safety recommended programs to clean up infected systems. If you continue to have problems follow the HijackThis instructions at that same CTH site. Please post back here if you feel you have resolved any infection issues but are still having program operations problems.

chukeej July 17th, 2005 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jintan
Howdy chukeej,
Some of what you describe could be malware related, including the Task Manager problem. For the moment, hold off on loading ZoneAlarm or any other firewall programs - it would complicate the situation. Go Here and follow the instructions for downloading and running some CTH Cyber Safety recommended programs to clean up infected systems. If you continue to have problems follow the HijackThis instructions at that same CTH site. Please post back here if you feel you have resolved any infection issues but are still having program operations problems.

Thanks, Jintan. I am sort of doubtful if I can d/load and run Ad-AwareSE and HijackThis on the IBM Thinkpad...bcuz I'm pretty sure from the list (which is what I think I had copied from Task Manager), that it contains some virus/trojans and some weird stuff. So b4 I go ahead and try to d/load AA-SE and HJT I just want to doublecheck with you again to see if in your opinion I should be able to d/load and run these programs and clear up my pc of any virus/trojans? I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best after I hear back from you. Cheers!

Jintan July 17th, 2005 03:07 AM

Hey chukeej,
Basically the assumption with those instructions by AnnMarie is that you have some form of infection. The recommendations to first run Ad-Aware and the others are to allow you to take the first steps in cleaning your pc of malware. You might be surprised in how much functionality is returned to your system through these steps. However, there are some pretty tough ad/spy/trojan/virus issues that do require guidance from experts, like the folks at the Cyber Safety forum, and a full HijackThis log (now cleared of the items the Ad-Aware et al can fix) is one way they can assess your situation.

chukeej July 18th, 2005 05:00 AM

Task Manager/Task List

Hey Jintan: Thanks for sticking with me on this post re my IBM Thinkpad. I d/loaded and installed Ad-Aware SE Personal, then ran an update and scan. It found 8 critical objects (Alexa) and I had them deleted by A-A. Then I tried to d/load and run the free virus scan by TrendMicro Housecall. It started d/loading and then the mouse and screen froze and wouldn't budge (an aside here - what can you do to shut down the computer safely - pc or laptop - when the screen and mouse freeze??). Anyway I had to power it off and disconnect - then when I restarted I got the error message saying because it was not shut down properly Win98 checked the disk for errors. I tried again to d/load TrendMicro housecall virus scan and again it froze...so I powered it off. What do you think causes this problem? and if I can't get housecall to run, is there another reliable free scan I can access? If I can successfully scan for and remove any resident viruses/trojans, then I will see if I can post the HijackThis log.
Also, I still have Zone Alarm, SpybotS&D and AVG already d/l to my desktop but not yet installed...so should I wait to (a) virus scan the laptop first with an online scan e.g. 'housecall' or any other you might recommend for me... before installing ZA, SS&D and AVG (b) and do I do the HJT log before or after I install those programs? Again, many thanks for any help you or any others on this board may be able to provide.

AnnMarie July 18th, 2005 05:31 AM

You may have more than one issue with this laptop chukeej.

Quote:

When I run Scandisk on the Thinkpad laptop it finds a lot of 'bad sectors'
If the number of bad sectors increases each time you run scandisk, it is very likely that the hard drive is failing. Start backing up any data that you need.

In the meantime, go to Start > Run and type

msinfo32

On the left side, select software environment and then Startup Programs.
Then go to Edit > Select All
And then Edit > Copy

Then paste the list back into this thread.

chukeej July 18th, 2005 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnMarie
You may have more than one issue with this laptop chukeej.

If the number of bad sectors increases each time you run scandisk, it is very likely that the hard drive is failing. Start backing up any data that you need.

In the meantime, go to Start > Run and type

msinfo32

On the left side, select software environment and then Startup Programs.
Then go to Edit > Select All
And then Edit > Copy

Then paste the list back into this thread.

:dizzy: Hi AnnMarie, thanks for your quick reply. Actually I haven't done Scandisk for a while and while it completed the scan and found the bad sectors, I couldn't complete a defrag afterwards - so I just kinda gave up on it.
As mentioned before, I couldnt find Task Manager - and now this problem trying to run trendmicro housecall online scan... my laptop screen and mouse (and AOL) freezing up. I will try to run msinfo32 and then see if I can successfully paste the list back into this thread. (right now I'm on my XP pc replying to your msg...so I will have to try and see if my laptop will run the msinfo32 list and hopefully paste it back). Thanks.

chukeej July 22nd, 2005 06:06 AM

I am unable to run msinfo32. I just can't complete a successful scandisk or defrag. My laptop has a capacity of 3.21GB/intel pentium R processor/40.0MB ram/94% free. Properties show Drive C Used space = 889mb/Free =2.34GB.
Seems to me there's still a lot of unused drive space - but Scan disk shows about 1,300 bad sectors out of 843,171 clusters, and it did not complete the fixes or the scan (scanned about 47,000 clusters and then quit). Defrag says the errors have to be fixed first. So I guess its impossible to fix this laptop? Sometimes it won't shut down and I have to manually power it off - then when I boot up again, Scan disk goes through its rigmarole again saying it was improperly shut down, etc. I don't know if I should just go ahead and try to install a new harddrive if it would clear up the prob once and for all? Also, a friend made a Win98 second edition CD for me that came with his desktop pc...I don't know if this CD would work on the IBM laptop if I installed a new hard drive??? Would appreciate your further input. Many thanks.

AnnMarie July 22nd, 2005 07:09 AM

Quote:

Also, a friend made a Win98 second edition CD for me that came with his desktop pc.
chukeej, when you purchased the laptop, the previous owner should have handed over all CD's that came with the unit. What you are suggesting sounds dangerously close to piracy and that's all the comment I care to make on that issue. Go back to the previous owner and ask for the CD's.

Quote:

I don't know if I should just go ahead and try to install a new harddrive if it would clear up the prob once and for all?
It could cost megabucks to replace an old laptop drive and it does sound as though it's on the way out. Get a quote first but if you want to take a gamble, I would be more inclined to consider investing in Spinrite. If it doesnt help on this machine, you have a great resource for use on another. This software is licensed for download and use by individual end users on one or more of their personally owned machines.