Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Opinions wanted on AV/AMW/Security software (https://www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=214318)

Bigbadger March 4th, 2011 08:10 PM

Opinions wanted on AV/AMW/Security software

Looking for discussion only on this topic. No active virus/malware removal is needed for my system.:wave:

With all the choices out there it's not easy to choose software package to protect our computers overall. there are many specialty products and removal tools too. I'm mostly interested in, but not limiting this to AV and Internet security. Online searches for opinions are often very biased by whomever is publishing the comparisons. I mean really, how can 2 websites suggest that 1 is the best while 2 is the worst, only to find another website suggesting almost the exact opposite?

Many packages come with options such as Internet Security, Anti-phishing, Identity protection, online purchase protection, 1-3 years of updates, 1-3 computers in a household.... it goes on and on.:dizzy:

1 - What A/V software package do you like, and why?
2 - What A/V software package do you dislike, and why?
3 - What OS do you use or prefer for it's own protective qualities, and why?

Thank you. I hope this can help other noobs, neophytes and less experienced folks too.

BigBadger

Jintan March 5th, 2011 03:27 AM

Let's move this to the CTH Open Discussion forum Bigbadger, where more folks are likely to see it, and can post their ideas.

AnnMarie March 5th, 2011 03:40 AM

Hi Bigbadger. I voted Other and the "Other" I am referring to is Microsoft Security Essentials. See here.

It's freeware, light on resources, updates daily and as it's Microsoft software, it's less likely to cause conflicts with Windows operating systems and updates than a third party application.

Jaytee March 5th, 2011 12:52 PM

Hiya,
I am using Avira free on the windows boxes I work with. It seems OK if a little slow to scan.

Sfcvaughn March 6th, 2011 08:00 PM

Eset for me.Dunno how I survived without it.

dohray March 6th, 2011 08:16 PM

Eset for me too.

Miz March 6th, 2011 09:55 PM

For users who are not interested in learning the finer points of how computers work, who want to turn it on and use it (like most of us use our vehicles), I recommend Microsoft's Security Essentials.

It's free, requires no user action, has no noticeable impact on performance, updates daily and protects well. I have it installed on all the family computers and even the in-laws who used to call regularly with malware problems haven't called once since putting MSE on their computers.

lufbra March 11th, 2011 05:35 AM

So are you saying that everyone can uninstall any/every "third party" virus/spyware/malware/whatever program, install Security Essentials, and we'll ALL be a lot safer than any program we already have installed?

smurfy March 11th, 2011 05:59 AM

@ lufbra. Yes.

Jaytee March 11th, 2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfy (Post 1204254)
@ lufbra. Yes.

Hmmn! OK then I will...