View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Tzap View Post
Hmmmm.......
Well, Kensington did produce a model K64210 Turbo Mouse for the Mac and later versions.
It is basically the same as the K64215 for the PC.
So, reusing that connector for the PC version would make sense.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Anyone still following this thread? Did the original poster ever find a solution? What about the user with the damaged serial cable?

1) I'm curious because, having gone through a similar struggle to get my ancient K64210 to work on a new Mac at home a few years ago, I was thrilled to inherit a K64215 from a retiring coworker, for my (Windows 7) PC at work today, only to encounter the same disappointment as this thread's originator.

2) For the person with the damaged cable--it's just a serial cable with a Mini-DIN connector on one end--not proprietary at all, and also NOT the same as the connector on the K64210 (that, like all Mac input devices from 1986-1998, used ADB, not serial). But Kensington no doubt used the less-common connector for the serial port on the K64215 because it allowed them to use the same size hole in the plastic housing as the K64210's Mini-DIN ADB port. (Lots of things used Mini-DIN connectors; ADB, S-Video, serial ports, Microsoft InPort, Sun keyboard/mouse, PS/2 keyboard/mouse, SGI keyboard/mouse, but only the first two [4-pin] and the last two [6-pin] share the exact same pin configuration with each other.) In any case, all you need to do to replace the K64215's cable is to find a serial cable used to plug a PC-centric serial device into a Mac. (OK, actually not quite so straightforward because I seem to recall that most such peripherals inexplicably used a DB-25 connector instead of DB-9 [even though they only use like five pins], and PC motherboards inexplicably use male instead of female connectors [in violation of good design practice] for their serial ports, but adapters to work around both of those issues should be readily available; a cleaner solution might be to seek out a cable intended for plugging a Mac-centric serial device into a PC... in fact, on a whim I just searched Amazon for "mini din 8 db9 cable" and got a whole bunch of results for what should be a perfect replacement for the damaged K64215 cable!)