View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2021, 01:11 AM

With regard to that speed aspect, zipulrich, I've had in my files for a bit some interesting information put out by Fiona Fui-Hoon Nah, out of the College of Business Administration at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. It is from 2004, so research since then may - - - well, it is the only one I have in my files and that is probably not so good. There may be more recent ideas established by more recent research, but it could be a start.

Link to pdf. A study on tolerable waiting time: how long are Web users willing to wait?

And for this post and those that aren't interested in looking at the pdf itself, here is a tad bit from the second half of page three:

Quote:
2. Literature on waiting time
According to Nielsen (1999: 67), download speeds are the ‘single-most important design criterion on the Web’. Web users are constantly begging for faster page downloads (Nielsen 2000). Although long download time of Web pages has been a consistent problem encountered by Web users (Lightner et al. 1996, Pitkow and Kehoe 1996, Selvidge 1999, 2003), it is still controversial as to what constitutes an acceptable waiting time for a typical Web page download (Bailey 2001). Nielsen (1997) advocates the 10-second limit, while Zona Research (1999) recommends the 8-second rule. Selvidge’s (1999) study shows that there is no difference in users’ frustration levels between 1-second and 20- second delay, but a difference (with 1-second delay) was observed at 30-second delay. Other researchers propose the 2-second rule (Shneiderman 1984) and the 12-second rule (Hoxmeier and DiCesare 2000). The conflicting evidence in the literature was also highlighted and examined by Galletta, Henry, McCoy and Polak (2002), who observed decreases in performance and behavioural intentions at 4 seconds.
You'll find the tables and figures starting on page 24 after the list of references. And they run through page 37.

> > > OKAY:

That one up there is a bit back in years and so I decided to see what Google's search tool produced using the 'within one year' parameter and this one out of Stony Brook University focusing on mobile devices seems appropriate to add to this post.

Link to pdf. Need for Mobile Speed: A Historical Analysis of Mobile Web Performance

And this page from the folks at Texas A&M is interesting: https://hprc.tamu.edu/faster/

Let me quote a couple of lines:

Quote:
In order to devise a single node, workflows on FASTER will actively integrate disaggregated GPUs and NVMe, allowing them to surpass conventional hardware limits. By supporting a technology that can effectively allot resources to support workflows, the platform removes significant congestion in research computing.
But I sense a commercial flavor to that page of information, notwithstanding it being a university.

Yep, this clearly shows a commercial aspect to this: https://hprc.tamu.edu/

Still, it may contain useful information, if anyone is interested into digging into this speed aspect of the browser. Or other related tech areas.

Last edited by It'sMe; March 11th, 2021 at 01:14 AM.