View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Question Gigabyte GA-K8NS issue, not posting, beep etc read below

I submitted this to gigabyte, but i'm going to copy paste here exactly whats going on in hopes that someone can help me out on this, i'm lost to what to do at this point, any input is helpful.

I just built the computer and checked over everything and went to boot to windows xp x64 edition and its giving me a long repetitious beep pattern....long beep...space....long beep...space over & over & i'm not sure what is causing the issue. I notice my motherboard has the 4 pin power connector thats a square hook up (looking like a pentium) and also the standard large power connector, this happens when i have both hooked in, i've tried with just one or the other separately..no beeps...but then no post to monitor. Either way doesnt even get as far as anythign but a black screen with those long beeps...and then monitor doesnt post. I read somewhere that the beeps could be cause of the ram an error...and someone suggested taking the ram out of slots 1 & 2 (sine its not dual channel) and putting it in slots 1 & 3 on motherboard, but i have not tested this, i wanted an opinion from the pros prior to. I cant get to bios screen so i cant even type what version of bios its using. so i'm putting 2.0 since its rev 2.0 motherboard and i have no way to check. Not sure what to do or where to go now, please reply as soon as possible, need to finish this up to give to a friend thanks.
*Update* I tried removing all of the following separately to same beep, video card, RAM, wireless network card, and also pulled out the temp gauge from between heatsink & cpu to the same beeping errors. When i removed video card i could power on and then it'd shut off right away. Unless i hook the 4pin 12v (2 yellow/2black) cable power adapter to motherboard & also the 24pin large power connector...i dont get beeps, but then it doesnt post to monitor either and monitor light just blinks.

I've also tried removing the 12v and booting and the same for removing the 24pin power connector and at that point it does nothing and neither of my dvd rom drives seem to get power (they wont open when pressed). At this point i'm stumped on what to do or where to go. I noticed for my fpanel (front panel jumper) all the ide hdd,reset sw, speaker connector & power switch were all in the correct place, the listing for message led/power/sleep led, i had no cable from the case to plug into that spot, thus it must be something not needed/my case doesnt have. All were placed in with wording on the sw's facing up towards power supply, therefore all in correct place. I did not hook up the front USB ports nor additional sound/mic ports either when all of the above has occured. Note, the pci wireless card is in slot 3 of the motherboard, but that shouldn't make a difference either. So far i've checked over all power cables, they are all hooked correctly (with a few Y splitters) to motherboard, the cpu fan from heatsink was hooked to cpu fan on motherboard also. I've tried to explain every single thing on it as best as i can, and hopefully that helps you out. I'm not sure what to do next, please help on this, thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<b>Model Name</b> : GA-K8NS
--------------------------
<b>M/B Rev</b> : 2.0
<b>BIOS Ver</b> : 2.0
<b>Serial No.</b> :
<b>Purchase Dealer</b> : newegg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<b>VGA Brand</b> : ATi <b>Model</b> : Radeon pro 9800
<b>CPU Brand</b> : AMD <b>Model</b> : 3000 socket 754 <b>Speed</b> : 2.1ghz
<b>Operation System</b> : Win XP 64-bit <b>SP</b> :
<b>Memory Brand</b> : Kingston <b>Type</b> : DDR
<b>Memory Size</b> : 512 <b>Speed</b> : pc3200
<b>Power Supply</b> : 420 W

2x western digital 7200rpm 80gig harddrives IDE

1x Sapphire radeon 9800 pro 128mb 8xagp video card

2x 512mb kingston pc3200 RAM(kvr400/512r)

16x sony dvd rom

16x dvd burner

amd 3000 64bit cpu with hyper transport

Raidmax X-1 case (420 watt)