View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:51 AM

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do the trick, assuming I understood your suggestion correctly. I changed the value from 1 (locked) to 0 (unlocked), closed the registry after making the change, then rebooted. I opened IE and the three-tiered bars were back at the top of the screen. The toolbars are no longer locked by default, but the three tiers are still there. When I place them side-by-side horizontally the way I want them, then lock the toolbars either by right-clicking on the toolbar OR by going back into the registry and changing the value back from zero (unlocked) to one (locked), it still boots back up with the three toolbars taking up a fourth of my screen space. There's something called "HP View" there, too, by the way, but I don't know what that is and wasn't able to find out by searches--maybe I just overlooked it somewhere, but I don't know what HP program that HP View is associated with. I suppose it's possible that some HP program (whatever it is) sets those toolbars the way it wants them when it loads at startup. Who knows... Thanks again for your help. If you or anyone else has another suggestion, I would like to know what it might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker
Give this a try:

Open your registry and find or create the key below.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "Locked" and set it according to the value data below.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Registry Settings
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
Value Name: Locked
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = unlocked, 1 = locked)

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.