View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2022, 05:37 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Here's my reasoning for supporting the right to bear arms.
First, it seems to me that if the right to bear arms is a problem for the majority of Americans, a serious campaign would already be mounted to pass an amendment to the Constitution banning all private gun ownership. That there is no such serious campaign indicates the majority support private gun ownership. The US still operates under the theory that the majority rules.
Second, if the right to bear arms were rescinded, it would leave 4.5 million guns in the hands of the military, 1 million in the hands of state and local police and an unknown number owned by various federal and state agencies. I do know that USPS Postal Inspectors, EPA, ATF, Homeland Security, Border Patrol, Customs, FBI, CIA and NSA field agents are all armed. I estimate at least another million owned by federal bureaucracies, none of which are famous for their deep caring about the rights of the average American.
Third, the argument that the Constitution only applies to weapons available when the document was written assumes that the men who wrote it were far too stupid and too ignorant of history to understand that there would be advances in weaponry in the years to come.
I do not believe they were too stupid or ignorant to understand that a "well armed militia" has to have the same firearms as the military to stand a chance against an oppressive government takeover and their writings show that standing a chance against an oppressive government was their reason for including that right.
Finally, I am a 76-year-old woman living alone out in the country in a state that does not require firearms be registered or a permit for open or cocealed carry. I am well armed and experienced in the use of guns. In my 1,000 square mile county there are exactly 4 cops; 1 Sheriff and 3 deputies. The two times I've had to call for help because of a prowler, it took 15 minutes and 20 minutes respectively for a deputy to get to my house. Both times when they got there they agreed that firing a warning shot works wonders. The Sheriff himself showed up once to warn me of "a suspicious bearded man" roaming in my pasture and told me "keep your gun close to you." I'm glad I'm able to own some self protection.