View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:12 AM

I went back into the computer and tried bAdWaYz's instructions again. This time round a few things worked, but ultimately there's still a problem.

First off, I reset the BIOS to its default settings and rebooted with the bootdisk in drive A. It didn't work with the one I made from bootdisk.com, but worked with the Universal Boot Disk that I have. At the A: prompt, I typed FDISK and followed the notes I'd made from bAdWaYz and deleted the NTFS partition. I restarted and changed the BIOS to boot from the CD-Rom and put the Windows 98 cd in. I rebooted with the cd and it went into a sort of setup that gave me the option to format or exit the setup. I chose format but got this message: "Please insert the following disk in Drive D: Windows 98 Boot Disk (or CD-Rom)".

I pressed F3 to exit the setup and got this message: "General Failure Reading Drive D".

I restarted.

And got the "Starting Windows 95...." bit.

And then "Drive C: is not a FAT16 or FAT32 partition".

I repeated the FDISK and partition deletion the same way I'd done it the first time and found myself with an A: prompt again.

I changed to C: drive and typed DIR and got the following:

Volume of drive C has no label.
Volume serial number etc...
Dir of C:\
File not found.
7,716,864 bytes free.

With the Windows 98 cd still in the CD-ROM, I changed to drive D: and typed DIR to see if it was reading the cd. I tried D: SETUP and got "Setup is now going to perform a routine check of your system. To continue, press ENTER. To quit SETUP, press ESC. I hit enter and got the Windows 98 setup. The real one. Then it dashed all my hopes by saying: "Setup cannot find enough disk space to install Windows 98. Setup will quit. Free some disk space and then run Setup again. You will need atleast 205 MB of free space to install Windows 98".

So...

I think I'm going to hit my head on my desk a few times and see if anyone here can make heads or tails out of all that.