View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:41 PM

Cool

Yeah, you'd think they would have set it up so it wouldn't shoot itself in the foot. XP, and so probably all the newer NT based OS's, do not save a copy of the registry at boot or any other time. There is one extra copy in the folder called Repair but it's from when XP was first installed and so if you ever had to restore it you'd be back at square one. You could copy the current registry over to it from time to time which would at least keep it reasonably fresh but the best way is to keep XP and the newer ones Backed-up,

Still working thru the other problem and found a couple of updates that were missing files or the versions were wrong but they were updates un-related to anything that works with the disk drives or the registry so they didn't fix that. At least those little things got taken care of. Didn't know until yesterday that qfecheck.exe did this. Try it on yours to see if all your updates are good. Qfecheck.exe is usually found in the \Windows folder. Just left click it and it will show you all the updates that you've done in detail and whether anything is missing or incorrect. I made a shortcut on my System Tools menu so I can run it whenever. Stay in touch.