View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:45 PM

This is an extremely frustrating problem that has plagued some multimonitor Windows users for years long before W10. It mostly affects users with different size monitors that use different resolutions. But it also affects others with identical monitors (like me ). The fact it only affects some multimonitor users, and only some of the time is what has made it impossible for Microsoft (or anyone else) to fix once and for all.

First, the obvious. Right click a bare spot on the desktop and select View and ensure Auto arrange icons is unchecked. That often fixes it. Arrange your icons the way you like them and be good to go.

If it does not fix it, this is what seems to work for me when all the icons on my secondary monitor move to the primary monitor after a reboot or when waking from sleep.
Right click on a bare spot on the desktop and select View and ensure Auto arrange icons is unchecked.
Then uncheck Align to grid, then Refresh.
Then check Align to grid again and Refresh.
No promises but that works for me.

In the meantime, checkout DesktopOK. This is a neat little program that lets you save your desktop icons positions. Then, if they get scrambled again, a simple click restores them all. It is not perfect but it is much easier than having to move them all back one at a time.