Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 30th, 2005, 12:02 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Question Power Supply and IDE Questions

I've written a couple of threads about my motherboard and I've finally come to the conclusion that it is dead. I am just going to build a new computer and not try to go "cheep-o" on it. As everyone who builds a computer knows, the first thing to consider in buying components for a computer is the Power Supply and the Case. I have already found a case, but one thing I do need is advice on a good Power Supply. In the past I have used the power supplies that came with my case, but as technology has gotten better I have found the need to buy a PWS. I am going to run a
Foxconn PCI-E motherboard
Intel 3.0Ghz (LGA 775) CPU
Radeon X800 PCI-E GPU
1 gig 184-Pin RAM (Corsair)
80GB SATA HDD (Seagate)
1 DVD-ROM drive
1 DVD-RW drive (Phillips)
7 case fans

What I would Like to know is, what Brand is the best to use and how many watts will I need to power this computer safely (I want to be able to have add-ons in the future) My friend told me that I should at least have 600 watts, but the guy at a local computer store told me that a TRUE 480 watt power supply would do fine. Please Help!!!!

-David

P.S. What is the Physical difference between ATA100 and ATA133, Could I use an ATA100 device on an ATA133 motherboard controller???

-Thanks
Old October 30th, 2005, 12:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
In reverse order -
ATA100 and ATA133 just have different transfer speeds - there is no physical difference, all connections are identical. The device will take the lower option in the equation.

Graphics card and CPU listed will take about 120 watts each, a SATA drive will take 15-20 Watts, the fans will have a rating on them.

to be honest, less than 5 hard discs will work happily off a true 400W power supply. A lot of psu's put out only about 60-70% of their rated wattage, one manufacturer I've stuck with and found them to be very near their stated wattage is FSP. Their 400 w unit is reasonably priced and very quiet as well. The electronic wizards in our tech lab tested one for me and gave it the big thumbsup as a quality bit of kit.
Old October 30th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
case fans, between 2 and 3 watt each... so that is less than 20 in total, on 12V

motherboard itself, guesstimate of 30 to 45 watt (chipset etc). (some on 12V, some on 5V)

RAM uses power too, but I would think it is lower than the 7W/128Mb I once learned about when we discussed power... this was for 3.3V SDRAM.
Still, 1Gb would use some..
DDR-1 runs on 2.5V
DDR-2 on 1.8V

paste...
Power issues are addressed by lowering the voltage from 2.5V to 1.8V. As memory capacities increase, the power required by the added memory also goes up. Dr. Michael Schuette of Lost Circuits estimates that 4GB of DDR1 memory consumes 35-40W of power. The reduced voltage in DDR-2 means power requirements also goes down, to about 25-30W for a 4GB system. The lower voltage also helps enable higher clock frequencies.
Old October 30th, 2005, 01:48 AM

I once looked at technical details for a 250Watt power supply by Aopen
it could deliver PEAK power of 480W (peak happens when you hit the ON button, since everthing starts to spin up then...)

a real cheapo case with an even cheaper PSU of 250 would peak at 250...
the box I am working on right no has a Zalman 300W, and this (barely...)supports four sata and a couple of IDE/atapi at times.
I have fewer SATA devices in there right now, and it has no trouble with suspend/standby at all now.

The 420 W I once had in it was a bit too loud on my ears, but that supported the full load with no trouble (one notices it has trouble, when you try getting out of standby, see).

(edit)
I just looked at the new Aopen QF50 case I got in.
300W (i wanted a look at it for the Azalia wiring it has)

the other box, Aopen A600, has 350W.
Aluminium case, with 6 internal hard-drive bays and 4 bays for ATAPI (plus 2 for floppy)
this one had no trouble running four sata and two IDE....

I am modifying the configuration in it as we speak, for I wanted to run a striped/mirrored raid in it.
(two 160 Gb sata go out, four 300Gb go in...)
Old October 30th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium_dare
My friend told me that I should at least have 600 watts, but the guy at a local computer store told me that a TRUE 480 watt power supply would do fine.
No offense, but your friend is crazy. A dual-core SLI system with 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives wouldn't require more than 550W, and even with RAM and added USB peripherals, that's still being mighty generous. The PC store guy is right, you should only be looking around the 450W mark, that will be plenty and will leave room for more.
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:29 PM

You want a good brand name PSU. If you want extra quietness then there are PSU's available with passive cooling.

Antec and Entermax are good brands, but aslong as it is a brand rather than plain boxed then you should be ok.

Here is a selection
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...plies_123.html
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM

Thanks Alot you guys, you were alot if help and I am very thankful to be able to come to a website with a question and get it answered. Your Great!

-David
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:50 PM

consider the quality of the case fans as well
seven loud fans would make an investment in a quiet PSU look silly
Old October 31st, 2005, 01:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdoom
consider the quality of the case fans as well
seven loud fans would make an investment in a quiet PSU look silly
and make sure they are mounted on rubber spacers. Stops a lot of the "thrumming"
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:15 PM

That there's a good point...
I do that too.

I am fortunate in that I am a mechanic maintenance/TS/repair guy whom deals with hydraulics as well. Our "wasted" O-rings tend to get collected in a box whith all sizes mixed, and you know the nature of men.... what's left after a job oft gets thrown in there.

I can use some that rubber... and I do. Hey, used and new mixed, I don't care, it is collected for the dust-kip.

Now, any good DIY retail has dirt cheap O rings and flat O shaped rubber seals one can use as "cushions".
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:23 PM

Talking

with the cushioning rubber spacers, seal the edge of the fan with yellow or blu narrow painter's mask,

in lieu of spacers and mask, a thin sheet of insulation foam you cut out can replace a bought fitting fan seal... (i once saw such, horribly expensive).

with some fans, I can use nuts and bolts to fix them. (not screws)
I used an O ring onder the nut, so that the nut (fix to bolt) would be cushioned from case.
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
with the cushioning rubber spacers, seal the edge of the fan with yellow or blu narrow painter's mask,
What on earth is that stuff Jaak? Not quite sure what you mean there.

Nuts and bolts - now THAT'S a good idea - suppose screws could gently ease themselves out over time and promote vibration.
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:00 AM

tesa yellow or blue paint mask tape, or any sort of flexible tape that sticks and keeps sticking...

tesa white, is for windows, and should be peeled off within two/5 days. (it hardens.)

narrow, for mask tape tendes to be to wide.
cut it lenghthwise with scissors, if too wide.

yellow is flexible, good for 15 days to a month... (paint job wise)
stays flexible in PC case, but is not as sticky as blue...

blue is like insulatuion tape, but it is still masking tape that will leave no glue mark after couple months of sticking.
cool for experimenting, peels off good, and staus flexible, can stay on after you forgot. (not on a paint job, of course)
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:09 AM

them nuts? can you believe I used nil-stop nuts?
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
them nuts? can you believe I used nil-stop nuts?
LOL - no, you nuts