Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:01 AM

Windows tweaks.

Hi. How can I remove the items in the startup tab in msconfig that aren't in use?

Also how can I remove a program that I want hidden on the computer, from the 'open with' window that you see when you right click and shift a file?

Can you tell me how to create a shortcut that will open more that one program/file?

Is there a cd that exists with all the windows errors that are known for windows 98 se?

When I installed NU 2002 on my computer it involuntary installed a option in the list you see when you right click on a file, called 'system information'. How can I alter this list and remove this feature?

is there anyway of preventing roxio goback from tracking my computer activities?

Is there an altenative program that views doc files other than word that is small in size-file size?
Old March 30th, 2003, 02:01 PM
MVP

Wow, you have a lot of questions!

I'll deal with the first three for a start:

1) removing items from startup tab:

First, make sure the ones you 'd like to get rid of are UNchecked on the Msconfig Startup tab.

Now close Msconfig, and open the Registry editor: Start >Run > regedit.

Navigate to, and examine the following 3 subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServices-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run-

Note the - (minus) sign behind Run and RunServices.

In those subkeys you'll find the Msconfig/startup entries that are UNchecked.

Highlight the ones you'd like to get rid of in the RIGHT pane, and choose 'delete'.

These keys contain the stuff that starts up from the Registry.

Items that were loaded from your Startup folder, and are now unchecked in Msconfig can be deleted in Start/Programs/Disabled Startup Items.

Incidentally, don't remove stuff this way you still have, and might want back in startup, for in that case restoring them gets a little more complicated

2) Have a look here: Show Programs in the Open With Selection

3) In order to launch several programs at the press of a button you'll need to create a batch file:

Launch multiple programs with one icon

Cheers,
Old March 31st, 2003, 05:42 PM

If you want a comparatively small word processor there are several you can consider. Some do have problems saving some document features of Word but for general word processing the following don't do a bad job. Abiword approx 3MB, EasyOffice(Tiny Version) approx 4MB, and Atlantis (you would want the free version NOT Atlantis Ocean Mind)approx 1MB. These can all be found on http://download.com.

If you just want to view (not edit) Microsoft Word Docs you can download Microsoft Word Viewer from

http://office.microsoft.com/download...wd97vwr32.aspx

Cheers
Old April 2nd, 2003, 04:10 AM

view docs

I am only interested in viewing doc files. Are there any alternative programs that allow for this. Note I have word 2000 installed but I want another viewing program. Hopefully free or shareware.