Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old April 1st, 2018, 02:18 AM

Boot failure

I recently downloaded an update from Dell on my laptop with Windows 10 OS. I think the update was an update for the Bios. Anyway after the update installed, my computer would no longer boot in Windows 10. I reset the BIOS to default in an attempt to resolve the problem, but nothing I did resolved the problem. I realize that I can go online and download a recovery tool. But using that will delete all of my files, which I don't want to lose.
In the past, I have completed several recoveries on the Dell laptop due to some problems developed from incompatible program installations. However in those instances I could still boot up in Windows 10, and select the recovery option that allowed me to retain my files. Now with the computer refusing to boot I don't have that option available. Is there some way that I can connect the old laptop that I am using for this messaging, to transfer the files from my Dell laptop hard drive to this computer. I have plenty of storage available on this to hold the files so that I can reinstall them to the Dell when and if I get a satisfactory recovery completed.
Old April 1st, 2018, 02:31 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
are you able to get into bootloader? If so, are you booting to security (efi) or legency? try changing to other, depending on the current setting.
Old April 1st, 2018, 03:33 AM

I tried both efi and legacy, to no avail with an online Dell technician. What I'm trying to find out now is can I recover the files from my Dell and save them top another computer through a connection of some kind. The technician had me try many things to try to get the computer to boot up. He said my only resolution is to download a recovery tool, and run it to reinstall
the operating system.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 12:14 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
The first thing you can try is booting into the recovery environment, if possible, and then performing a startup repair. To access the recovery environment, turn your computer on and off three times. While booting, make sure you turn off the computer when you see the Windows logo. After the third time, Windows 10 will boot into diagnostics mode. Click Advanced options when the recovery screen appears.

If not then you can try;
If you don’t have installation media, you will need to go a working computer and Create a Windows 10 USB Bootable Flash Drive. You can also go to a working Windows 10 PC and create a recovery drive. When using a USB drive, make sure to set up your BIOS to boot from the USB drive.