Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Remotely connect to computer

Hi all,

I want to connect to my android phone to my PC via either SSH or VPN. If my computer's on then this is not too tricky (I have the software on my phone and PC), but I do not want to leave my computer on the whole time.

So, the challenge is for me to be able to securely turn my computer on remotely. I've read that you need open up a port on your router and set your IP address as static, but I'm wary about opening a port on my router - is there a way to do this securely? I guess the only option may be to have a secure password??

Thanks!
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:51 AM

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by igloo01 View Post
Any thoughts on this?
Hi Igloo - well, I don't know if you're talking about a work and/or home computer - assume both are password protected and safe? But my first thought would be to just leave the computer 'on' when you expect to need a connection.

When I worked (retired now) @ a medical center, we HAD to leave our office computers on (allowed the IT before to do their thing in our absence); thus, I could easily connect from home using 'remote desktop' - I'm sure there are other solutions that may be preferable to you and hope others will 'chime in' w/ the advice needed - good luck!
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Hi giradman,

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking about a home computer. I have a programme to connect to the computer while it's on, but the main issue is how I can turn it on! Say, for example, if I want to access my computer while I'm on holiday. I don't want to leave my computer on the whole time but want to be able to turn it on then off when I'm done.

Hopefully someone else will have an idea?

Thanks.
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:06 AM

It is not possible for anyone to turn ON the computer through remote access as concept of remote access is to take access of target computer remotely, if it is already turned ON. You can remote reboot the computer in the regular or safe mode using remote support service such as gosupportnow.com, once you have remote access.