Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:04 AM

System Volume Information file

I've been trying to do a system restore but cannot access it. So I tried the advice on this page http://support.microsoft.com/default...n-us;841568but I cannot find the system volume information file to rename it.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:11 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Did you do step one of the instructions on that page? I think System Volume Information is a hidden file so you won't be able to see it until you do the following.
1. Right-click Start, click Explore, click Tools, and then click Folder Options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. In the Advanced settings box, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz
Did you do step one of the instructions on that page? I think System Volume Information is a hidden file so you won't be able to see it until you do the following.
1. Right-click Start, click Explore, click Tools, and then click Folder Options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. In the Advanced settings box, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
Yes, I did click on the view hidden files bit. Sadly when I finally found the file last night it says access denied and since this computer was built by someone I don't know, I have no way of unencrypting it.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM

If you have XP Pro with NTFS then you need to add your User Account to the Permissions.
(Simple File Sharing needs to be disabled)

If you have XP Home with NTFS then you need to boot into SafeMode and add your User Account to the permissions.

To Add your User Account to the permissions right-click the folder and choose Properties, then the Security tab.

Choose Add, then add your Account Name (the proper user account name, not the display name)
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the reply.I unchecked simple file sharing but the only way for me to access the system volume information file is to type it into the address file and it doesn't show up, I just get the access denied error, so I can't right click on it.Dang this stuff is frustrating!Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. I wish I was more savvy with this kind of thing. Is there some other way to find that file without using search (can't do that either) or typing it in? Supposedly the hidden files should be viewable now but I can't find it by just looking through the files.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm just going to have to suck it up, save the money and buy a new OS and start over.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:45 AM

Re- read the advice given above and in the link. You will be able to add your user account perimmisons to access the folder.