Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Spyware?

I am constantly getting popups on my screen, by constantly its every 45 seconds I have 2-3 popups come up on my screen, I scanned using Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and it comes up with nothing... I once had a popup saying: You have been infected with the black worm.

The option to close it was faded and I just hit okay, cause alt F4 didn't work. I could either press okay, or a link to download. I don't have any firewall or virus protection cause I am slightly broke right now.

I pressed ctr alt del and checked my processes and there were these 2 things that were running that usually don't run. The only way I found them was cause they were taking up 2-20 CPU.

wzckbbsw.exe
rundll.exe

I have seen rundll before, it used to cause all sorts of havac and when I would open something up like a window, the program would close it enless I closed it using ctr alt del.

Fooly Cooly
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
You need two things, microsoft spyware remover and a popup blocker. Both yahoo and google and a toolbar that's used with IE browser.
http://toolbar.yahoo.com/
http://toolbar.google.com/

For the microsoft spyware remover, here's the link. You'll need to have SP 2 installed in order of it to install and work on your computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Why do I need yahoo and google toolbar? Yahoo has all sorts of spyware inside of its toolbar...
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Okay I am downloading the spyware remover... Most of the time I won't even be surfing the web, just leave my computer and come back and popups all over the desktop.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:41 PM

It might be wise to run a HijackThis scan and post the log results in the CyberSafety forum.
You can download the exe from here....
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/downloa...this-installer

Run it from a folder on your desktop. Run "scan and save log file".
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM

I downloaded the microsoft/windows defender/popup blocker. And now I keep getting this popup saying:

Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. When I press the close button it doesn't close... Instead, 30 seconds later it pops up again. I tried closing all the active internet explorers and it keeps coming back as soon as I open a new one.

A new process has started running in the background called: MsMpEnG and its NOT the windows defender... The windows defender is somthing like: MaS**** ect.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Wait nvm, the popup thing stopped popping up... Now I just have normal popups.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Nope its still popping up nvm last post...
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Do I post HJT file here?
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Please post it in this forum.....
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25

Let the experts check it out for you.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:51 PM

^_^ Did it. Thanks.
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:14 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooly Cooly
Why do I need yahoo and google toolbar? Yahoo has all sorts of spyware inside of its toolbar...
No it doesn't, it's a very usefull toolbar and I rarely get popups.
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
some freebies are OK

hey Fooly Cooly,
scoot over to zone alarm and install a freebie that works like a charm, protect yourself from those who want to take over your rig or those programs that want nestle in your hdd. and call home (without your knowlegde or permission). there are other free firewalls to chose from as well.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknstiff
hey Fooly Cooly,
scoot over to zone alarm and install a freebie that works like a charm, protect yourself from those who want to take over your rig or those programs that want nestle in your hdd. and call home (without your knowlegde or permission). there are other free firewalls to chose from as well.
Kay thanks.