Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM

Add or remove program won't open..

Hello

I have tried to open the add or remove program on my computer but it won't. I can get into the control panel but when I click the add/remove the egg timer stays on for about 10 seconds and then goes off.. I have tried restarting and no matter what I do it won't open..

I have tried to access the program I want to remove via ccleaner but it's not listed..

The program I'm trying to remove and the one I think is stopping me opening add or remove program is kiwee toolbar..

Please go gentle.. I'm not really computer literate..

Thanks

Kenny
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi kpf1965,

Give this a try and see if you can then successfully open Add/Remove Programs....

Go to Start>Run and key in:
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Click on OK in the RegSvr32 dialogue box
Then key in:
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i
Click on OK or hit ENTER
Then key in:
regsvr32 shell32.dll -i
Click on OK or hit ENTER

If you have IE7 installed, don't run regsvr32 on mshtml.dll, as that entry point has been removed in IE7's version of that particular module.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM

Thanks for your reply.. I've tried your instruction but it won't go past the regsvr32 dialogue box.. It says; mshtml.dll was loaded,but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file can not be registered..

If that makes sense..

I have the latest IE installed..

Thanks

Kenny
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
If that makes sense..
Yes, it does, that's why my response included the following:
Quote:
If you have IE7 installed, don't run regsvr32 on mshtml.dll, as that entry point has been removed in IE7's version of that particular module.
Try registering the other two .dll files.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM

I'm so sorry for not reading your reply properly..

I registered the other two .dll files and the add or remove program still didn't open from the control panel...

Kenny
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Try this.. Click Start/Run & type services.msc in the window that opens make sure the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" is set to automatic.

Have you tried a restore point?
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

Okay, see if running this fix (provided courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP) helps solve the problem:
Go to Registry Edits for Windows XP and scroll down to line 146. In the right-hand column, click on the Undo link and Save it to Desktop. Once d/loaded (should take only a moment), double-click on the addremoverestrictionsundo.reg file. If you receive an "Open File - Security Warning" dialogue box, click on the Run button in the dialogue box. Then click on Yes in the Registry Editor dialogue box.