Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old April 6th, 2017, 11:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Error Message in Firefox

When I try to login to my online Bank Account, after entering my saved login and password which previously worked I receive a page with a one line message - Error 500: java.lang.NullPointerException

After calling the bank I was told to update my Java. On trying to do that I was told that the Java Plugin does not work on the 64 bit version of Firefox. On checking to see what is installed it appears that I do not even have a Java Control Panel.

Running Windows 10 64 Bit latest update installed, Browser Firefox 52.0.2 64 bit.

I have changed nothing, I was able to login to the account as recently as a few days ago. I suspect the bank has made some changes but they say not, can anyone suggest anything I should try before I give the bank the flick?
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
You're still in Qld aren't you? So no Daylight Savings time change last weekend?

1stly try the 64bit java: https://java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml#Java for 64-bit

If that doesn't immediately do the trick, I would try the http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...me-136440.html timezone updater tool.
Old April 6th, 2017, 01:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks Smurfy, That's right no time changes in QLD, but the banks head office is in such a zone. Java now downloaded and updated, can see the Java control panel is installed. Unfortunately when I try to access the Bank I get the same error message.

I'll give them another ring in the morning and see what they have to say.
Old April 6th, 2017, 05:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

My own silly fault, a few days ago I altered the Firefox Config file to fix another problem, just changed it back and all is now OK with the Bank Login.

Change was to the network referer parameter. "network.http.sendRefererHeader" Default is 2, I had edited it to 0, now back at 2.

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; April 6th, 2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old April 7th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Neddie, if you feel comfortable wandering through about:config, you are one up on me.
Old April 7th, 2017, 10:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

No, not confident, but not timid either. Firefox is written like a typical Linux file. years ago I worked extensively in the Linux area, attending about half a dozen conferences at developer level, quite rusty on it now, (and it has moved on) but still happy making changes to achieve specific purposes in Firefox, the only problem is when an unforeseen and unintended additional consequence occurs.

The change made had it's intended purpose, the tests proved OK, other sites all worked OK, just something different with the banks site, in this case.