Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old October 24th, 2017, 06:08 PM

Font Corruption

I have a second hand HP Elite Book that was upgraded to Win 10.

Bizarrely, Arial became corrupted. It is an easy fix, but anyone with parents or friends who are not techies and rely on you to fix them up should be aware of this phenomenon because it will drive your people nuts until you get there. It really is annoying not to know what text is there.

Why aren't system fonts saved in the BIOS or somewhere that are beyond corruption?
Old October 25th, 2017, 07:45 AM

Hi, most of us have little to no problems with fonts, this is not to say that those that do, are not frustrated by them.

Back in 95 days we came up with a multi user OS and incorporated a registry, to among other things, accommodate this. System restore would usually get you back up and running and a compete registry restore, from a regback, takes only minutes on win 10. Programs and users (different languages as well) effect font's used, you would have to make the BIOS a multi user app to accommodate what you want, and I can assure you if you think font's are a problem imagine what this could do.
Old October 25th, 2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Why aren't system fonts saved in the BIOS or somewhere that are beyond corruption?
First, understand "system fonts" refer to fonts used by the operating system. And the operating system is not loaded until well after the BIOS is loaded. That is, the boot drive is not even touched until the BIOS passes POST (power on self test) and the CMOS information is read in and makes the necessary user changes to the BIOS defaults.

But to be able to read the BIOS Setup menu, there is a basic font stored in the BIOS. Beyond that, there just is not enough space to store that many fonts.

Plus fonts take up disk space and RAM space too. Not everyone has gobs of RAM.

And also, computers are designed to run other operating systems too, like Linux.

Do note that malware can corrupt fonts. Make sure your system has been scanned and fully updated.
Old October 25th, 2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Noob
Hmmm on Win98se all the font files are stored in the FONT folder (Windows directory) Are they not stored as files on win10?

Incidently: I have one entry listed in my BAD FONT registry entry: ARIALBD

I have this file (arialbd.ttf)

I assume fonts that get tagged and put in 'BAD FONTS' are not used by the computer??

Anyway of resetting the font file so its not flagged as bad??

Anyway of testing your font files and seeing which ones arent working right? That would be neat.........

Good luck Total Noob,i know how frusterating it can be!!.