Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Recent Windows Security Updates for March

Hi,

I recently received the standard monthly updates for March for Windows XP SP2. If I remember correctly, there was the standard check for possible malware, followed by an update to windows media 11, an XP security update, and a genuine advantage update.

Is anyone aware of any kinds of problems with these updates? I've had to reinstall my wireless card, got a WIN32 General Service error, and these new popups that tell me of potential security concerns and to allow or disallow.

I've thoroughly checked for viruses and spyware/adware...have none.

Anyone else notice any differences after receiving this months batch of updates?
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:31 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
yeah I remember, but I cant say that I experienced any problems with anything, what exactly was the error just out of interest?
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex Tech View Post
yeah I remember, but I cant say that I experienced any problems with anything, what exactly was the error just out of interest?
Hi Sussex,

The biggest problem I had after the updates was with my wireless internet card. I typically put my system on standby for a faster return, and in the past, the wireless card always quickly recognized the connection and I was on the internet. After the updates, the card would connect, but never be able to pull the DNS. I had to restart to reset it. I uninstalled the card and let the hardware wizard detect it and reinstall it, and it works fine now.

The other thing I notice was with the WIN32 General Service Error. This particular error had something to do with the skinning system for XP. Occasionally the skin would flash and distort, transitioning from the XP theme to the old fashioned Windows 2000 theme. I received the error, and when I went into the control panel to change the display back to the WIN XP theme, I couldn't. I had to restart.

Since reinstalling the wireless card, I have not seen these issues. They are simple to fix; I'm just trying to understand what caused them.