Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 26th, 2016, 08:45 PM

Motherboard random halt upon boot with LED lights

My motherboard sometimes halts upon boot-up with varying LEDs on... (P8P67 Pro Rev 1.01)

The motherboard has LED lights for GPU/CPU/RAM/Boot Devices and sometimes when i Power on PC it halts with one of these LEDs staying on. I'm guessing it is a motherboard issue because of the variety and randomness of LEDs that it stops on.

Could my board be faulty? Does anyone know of a way of testing this with some software instead of having to take out bits etc?

cheers
Old June 26th, 2016, 10:44 PM

Unless the motherboard manufacturer has a boot diagnostic utility for your specific board, software is not going to help since it occurs during boot. If you built the system yourself you'll just have to re-examine your build including taking it apart and re-building again. That said this is the kind of problem that is best looked at from the manufacturers site via the knowledge base and or their forums. You still have to go through that if you just want to RMA the board so why not give the board at least a good scrutiny. Like did you put the ram sticks in the proper slots, does using only one stick at a time solve the issue, are all your power connections for the board and video correct, etc.
Old June 26th, 2016, 10:51 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hey manuleka,

What is the Make & Model of your Mother Board.

When you say that one LED light is coming on.
Is it the same one every time?
Or is it random?

If it's random, then it could be a power supply problem.

If its the same LED light every time.
Pull out your manual, and see what that circuit the LED light is for.

You may just get lucky.
It may be that the system needs to be dusted out and cleaned.
Plus, the Video card, Memory, Cable Connections, and any other cards just need to be re-seated or tightened down.

Signed: Ensign Tzap

Last edited by Ensign Tzap; June 26th, 2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old June 27th, 2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing it is a motherboard issue because of the variety and randomness of LEDs that it stops on.
That's not a valid conclusion. My first guess would be power. And because I always want to ensure I am supplying good, clean, quality power to my hardware when troubleshooting hardware problems, I would make sure all power connections are good, and if so, then I would swap in a known good PSU and see what happens. In the process, I would make sure all other cables, RAM and cards are securely connected/inserted and the case interior is clean of heat trapping dust. If you still have the same problems, you know your power supply was good.

As for the LEDs, you need to look in your motherboard manual and see what they LED lights are telling you. The pattern should relate to an error code. That's what they are there for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Tzap
What is the Make & Model of your Mother Board.
The OP said it was a P8P67 Pro Rev 1.01. Google tells us that is from ASUS.