Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old June 28th, 2020, 11:16 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Now I'm talking to my microwave

An Amazon Echo Microwave was delivered yesterday. I got it hoping to gain some counter space in my small apartment. Would you believe it set itself up? I plugged it in, moved the empty box to another room so I won't trip over it, and when I got back, it said it was ready to go. Even signed on to my wifi and updated the alexa app. One feature I really like is the clock. It syncs via wifi so it will always have the correct time. Something I never had because every time I set the clock on my old, within a few hours something happens so I quit trying.

Now I wonder if the air fryer is as bad as the reviews say. Really not too concern with that feature though I may give fries a try tonight. One thing though, that thing is big. It is almost as big as the Kenmore microwave I bought in 1982 but not near as heavy. Already cooked a couple of dishes in it via voice and it was great. The only thing I will have to remember is it is not just a microwave and not try to remove food with my bare hands after baking. Almost did it last night.

from amazon

Quote:
Meet Amazon Smart Oven - A 4-in-1 microwave, convection oven, food warmer, and air fryer. Air fry feature may require more cooking time than standalone air fryers.
Certified for Humans - Struggle-free, tinker-free, stress-free. No patience needed—it's actually simple.
Preset it and forget it - Includes 30+ built-in presets, voice control with Alexa through a compatible Echo device like the included Echo Dot.
Dinner is ready - With Announcements, Alexa will notify you when the oven is preheated or when your food is done.
Check the temperature - The temperature probe helps you know when your food is cooked just the way you like it.
Scan-to-cook - Scan select packaged foods with the Alexa app and Amazon Smart Oven will cook them automatically.
Spacious interior - Large enough to cook a 5-pound chicken.
External Dimensions: 21.73 x 21.38 x 12.83 in.

Last edited by renegade600; June 28th, 2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old June 29th, 2020, 12:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Amazing, now all you need is the addon that will do the shopping and provide some home comforts in the evening.
Old June 29th, 2020, 08:16 AM

Yeah but does it pour you a beer? I like the air fryer function and wait for a progress update.
Old June 29th, 2020, 07:46 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Honestly Dan, you tell the microwave to cook the food. Where you have to put the food in it manually, which means you're standing right there by the buttons you can push to cook the food. So the benefit of having a microwave you talk to is what?
Old June 29th, 2020, 07:59 PM

O/S: MacOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
Honestly Dan, you tell the microwave to cook the food. Where you have to put the food in it manually, which means you're standing right there by the buttons you can push to cook the food. So the benefit of having a microwave you talk to is what?
Amazon can track what you cook.
Old June 29th, 2020, 08:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

not always standing right there. there is something called multi-tasking. besides it is easier to say bake soso for 20 minutes at 350 than punching the combination of buttons to get that. or telling it to preheat at 400 while chopping onions or whatever. or telling it to warm up dessert from the dining table while eating.

the real reason I got it is my eyesight is not what it used to be and at times I cannot see the buttons properly for various reasons. You would not believe the number of times I hit the wrong buttons while trying to defrost or the wrong cooking times because I was unable to read the lcd.

If you think about it, there are lots of advantages especially to the handicap or older folks. Just another tool no different than any other smart home device or remote control.
Old June 29th, 2020, 08:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Amazon can track what you cook.
how can it tell what you cook when you only tell it to microwave for 2 minutes? now if you scanned the barcodes on the packages, that is another story. Since the grocery stores and other retail stores already collect that info through the use of rewards cards, debit/credit card, checks or whatever, that info is already out there.
Old June 29th, 2020, 09:02 PM

I would rather live my quiet life, without machines talking to me and me talking to them. I have a friend who is a GPS freak, and insisted when we drove 100 miles to the West that we use his device. Darn thing just wouldn't shut up.
Old June 29th, 2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
I would rather live my quiet life, without machines talking to me and me talking to them. I have a friend who is a GPS freak, and insisted when we drove 100 miles to the West that we use his device. Darn thing just wouldn't shut up.
The trick here is to make random turns every now and again just for the fun of a recalculation or five
Old June 30th, 2020, 07:23 PM

O/S: MacOS
Quite honestly, I'm very aware of what's shared with who.. but I know I'm fairly unique in that concern.

The ONLY automation I like are motion activated lights. I WON'T do any "echo" or "siri" or "alexa" or whatever.. I simply don't like knowing there's a microphone that can record anything at any time. In fact, even my cell phone is often kept in another room where I can here it ring, but it can't hear conversations. Now I am ambulatory and don't need to rely on automation for anything. So that surely plays a role.

Am I crazy regarding this.. well.. I guess only time will tell. But I have had a couple instances that seemingly make it clear what I think is private is absolutely NOT private.

Privacy matters... at least to me.

Things like my location.. well that's public record the moment I bought my house.... my shopping habits. Yes they are tracked other than hand to hand cash purchases. But, that's all a far cry from a system capable of listening to every word spoken in it's presence and retaining it for use at a later date.
Old June 30th, 2020, 08:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Quite honestly, I'm very aware of what's shared with who.. but I know I'm fairly unique in that concern.

The ONLY automation I like are motion activated lights. I WON'T do any "echo" or "siri" or "alexa" or whatever.. I simply don't like knowing there's a microphone that can record anything at any time. In fact, even my cell phone is often kept in another room where I can here it ring, but it can't hear conversations. Now I am ambulatory and don't need to rely on automation for anything. So that surely plays a role.

Am I crazy regarding this.. well.. I guess only time will tell. But I have had a couple instances that seemingly make it clear what I think is private is absolutely NOT private.

Privacy matters... at least to me.

Things like my location.. well that's public record the moment I bought my house.... my shopping habits. Yes they are tracked other than hand to hand cash purchases. But, that's all a far cry from a system capable of listening to every word spoken in it's presence and retaining it for use at a later date.
you are not crazy nor unique in this. I see this all the time in the different forums and even in the different articles comment sections. I just choose to live like the Jetsons as much as possible and hopefully at my age, I won't have to worry about any possible data collected about me will be used against me. but then way my insurance keeps going up, I am willing to bet they are using my food purchases against me since I pay with a smartwatch or phone these days :-)
Old July 10th, 2020, 04:57 AM

If I moved into an appt that had one of these 'smart' microwaves I would take it out and smash it!!

Screw this stupid Wifi crap that is affecting more and more people everyday!!
Old July 10th, 2020, 09:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
If I moved into an appt that had one of these 'smart' microwaves I would take it out and smash it!!

Screw this stupid Wifi crap that is affecting more and more people everyday!!
so is wifi the cause of your anger issues? :-P
Old July 10th, 2020, 03:13 PM

I think Bunny has Covid 19.
Old July 20th, 2020, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600
so is wifi the cause of your anger issues? :-P
Ah man!!