Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old December 23rd, 2001, 12:40 AM

Windows 2000 - Network and internet ready? I think not...

Hello everyone,

I figure I'd give internet help forums a shot with my problem. If it can prevent me from hiring a tech, and saving me $50/hour without anything to lose, why not.

I've recently upgraded my Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Professional. Before the upgrade, my internet was working fine without any problems at all. After the upgrade however, I could no longer access the net. My drivers are installed, and the network card is functioning properly... I even bought two new NIC's and installed them, without any success. The odd thing is that I can access my other computers through a home network, yet I can't use the internet. The other computers on my network fire the internet fine. It seems there is some sort of specific software configuration I have to go through, but I don't know where to start. My TCP/IP protocol is installed as well... And as of now, I'm running a completely clean Windows 2000 Pro (I figure formatting my computer and giving it a fresh start would resolve the problem).

I run the internet through a LAN connection with Rogers @home cable. My network ID is correct, I tested it on the other PC's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Just in case my computer specs are needed, it is as follows:

Intel PII-400
162 megs of PC-100 ram
20 gig 7200 RPM HD
AOpen 10/100MPS Ethernet PCI Adapter
Soundblaster 16
Voodoo 4 4500 32 meg AGP video card
40x Samsung CD-Rom (IDE)

Thanks a lot!

Sebastian

- Happy holidays!
Old December 23rd, 2001, 03:18 AM

Is Internet Connection Sharing or a router installed?
Old December 23rd, 2001, 03:59 AM

Hi,

I checked out the Windows help for Internet Connection Sharing... And at one point, it asks to click the "Sharing" tab when checking the properties for an incoming connection. There is no sharing tab...

How might I go to fix this?
Old December 23rd, 2001, 04:45 AM

Will buying a router solve my problem? The only thing I don't understand is why the internet on my secondary computer won't work after I upgraded to Windows 2000... Right now, I have both PC's and a cable modem connecting into a hub.

My cable internet service is providing me with two I.P. addresses. Will using the Internet Connection Sharing use both I.P. addresses independently?

Maybe I should just reinstall Windows 98...
Old December 23rd, 2001, 07:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
A router is like a hub only it does a couple of things more.

#1 it usually has a firewall. This is not to be confused with ZoneAlarm
and other software firewalls. Routers have hardware firewalls.
For firewalls hardware is better than software.

A router also has the unique ability to hide your actual IP
(4 part number thingy) from the Internet.

All routers carry the first octet(first group of numbers in the 4 part number thingy)
as 192.x.x.x

On the Internet there is no 192.x.x.x so routers, in a sense, are virtual(imaginary).

You can think of a router as masking your identity like Batman's mask
hides Bruce Wayne. Nobody on the Web knows your Bruce Wayne they
think your Batman when you go through a router.

Also, with a router, every machine that's behind it is invisible to your ISP
(cable/adsl/Internet provider). The ISP only see one IP and you do not
have to pay for a second IP address connection. A linksys 4 port router
and SMC 4 port router can each carry up to 256 computers through them.
256 cable/adsl high speed Internet connections for the fee of one computer.
How's that for keeping overhead low, in a small/medium business, for Internet
access?

Now you know why ISP(Internet Service Providers) cap BW(bandwidth)...
...but that's another story.
Old December 23rd, 2001, 04:43 PM

Hi,

Thanks Spider, for the extra info. I studied routers and ICS a bit more, but I'm still unsatisfied.

I don't mind paying the extra fee for another internet connection, as I don't want to share the bandwith between the two computers. The only problem I'm trying to resolve is on the secondary computer. With Windows 98SE, it was functioning properly, but after upgrading, it no longer worked.

It's odd, beacuse my primary computer with Windows 2000 can use the internet fine...

Anyone have any ideas?
Old December 24th, 2001, 12:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Quote:
Originally posted by seb:
I don't mind paying the extra fee for another internet connection, as I don't want to share the bandwith between the two computers.
You are sharing the BW on two IPs anyway. The way that works is you have an account at the server and all accounts are capped(restricted amount of BW set).

Whether you use two IPs or a router your going do have the same cap amount on the account.
Quote:
The only problem I'm trying to resolve is on the secondary computer. With Windows 98SE, it was functioning properly, but after upgrading, it no longer worked.
I noticed you had said earlier My network ID is correct. If this means you are assigning a specific IP address I would suggest setting the NIC TCP/IP to [i]Obtain an IP address automatically on the IP Address(tab). Also switch between
Use DHCP for WINS Resolution and Disable WINS Resolution on the WINS Configuration(tab).
(hope I got that right I don't have W2KPro in front of me here.)