Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 16th, 2011, 05:44 AM

problems doing pretty much of anything

i have windows 7 on my dell inspirion 15r with a i3 330m processor and up until about a week ago it was running perfectly and then i removed a scare-ware that i downloaded from IObit called advanced system care. since then i have ran an avast virus scan, avg virus scan, also scanned with windows defender and Microsoft security essentials(not to mention that i still have a McAfee part running in that background that i cant get rid of no matter how hard i try(came with computer) i have also used the windows 7 home version of disk defragger(which just looks weird) and i used a auslogics disk defrag.( amazingly all said there are no problems)

and btw the problem i was and still am having is laggy and unresponsive media and data use along with constant windows randomly crashing (like if there if your computer had not been defragged in 2 years) which i normally defrag on a day to day bases.

i ran a chkdsk not to long back and it helped for a bit

but now every time i try to do anything that remotely scans or etc i get un-systematically shut down and rebooted and when its finished it takes me to a black screen that says that my os is not present but i can hit my power button and power off then when i power on it takes to to a screen where i have to press f1 to continue that tells me i should back up my drive contents and get a new hard disk(suspected hard disk failure)

please help.
~cheers.

Last edited by troy_b; June 16th, 2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
You must get completely rid of one of your antivirus applications before looking at any other possible causes for your problems. Having two antivirus apps installed (or even partly installed) is a classic cause of instability so you must address that issue first. Try the McAfee Removal Tool: http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consume...ool_d5420.html

As for the hard drive, you can test that with the drive maker's own diagnostic software which will tell you definitely whether or not it is starting to fail. The links are at the top of this page: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Last edited by pip22; June 16th, 2011 at 11:31 AM.