Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM

Invalid system disk. Replace the disk and press any key

My daughter exchanged monitors on her computer. When she turned it back on the screen was black and it would not go into windows. We turned off the computer, put in the windows 98 bootup disk in the A drive, then turned the computer back on. At the bottom of the screen it has "Invalid system disk. Replace the disk and press any key". Can you tell me what I need to do?

Thanks

Twana
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:42 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Make sure you have a boot disk for your system and in BIOS make sure the A drive boots first.

Was the other monitor working and was windows booting ok?
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:11 AM

Thanks for your help. Yes, windows was booting with no problem and the monitor was working. She was switching for a larger one. The disk is a Microsoft boot disk that came with the computer. After connecting the new monitor and powered on the PC, it said to insert the bootup disk. How do I make sure the A drive boots first? It said to hit the delete key to enter setup, but does nothing when I hit the key.

Thanks
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:14 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
K I had that before.. but it wasnt from changing monitors.. it was from deleteing a startup file and having a bored leaking acid lol.
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:43 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hit the F2 key as it's booting and that should get you into your BIOS. In there change the sequence so that A will boot first instead of C. Then reboot with the boot disk in and see if it will boot to it. I don't understand why it's asking you to boot with a boot disk though.

Tell you what try this first. Tap on the F8 key until you hear a beep. When the menu comes up choose command prompt only and at the C prompt type in this scanreg/fix then reboot and see if the monitor will come on. Make sure it's hooked up right and the green light is on the front.
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:45 AM

I will try this when I see her tomorrow. I will let you know what happens.

Thank You