Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 11th, 2016, 02:13 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Double Clicking Mouse Action

This should be an easy one! I'm running Windows 10 Home, I have a USB Optical mouse. How do I get this thing to stop double clicking when I press the left click button. Example: If click on the back arrow on a browser it will skip back two pages instead of one. I have to be overly gentle to get it to work right! Help Please.
Old June 11th, 2016, 03:24 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
From Windows 10 Support.
Quote:
To change how the mouse buttons work

1. Open Mouse Properties by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type mouse, and then click Mouse.
  2. Click the Buttons tab, and then do any of the following:
    • To swap the functions of the right and left mouse buttons, under Button configuration, select the Switch primary and secondary buttons check box.
    • To change how quickly you must click the buttons to perform a double-click, under Double-click speed, move the Speed slider toward Slow or Fast.
    • To turn on ClickLock, which enables you to highlight or drag items without holding down the mouse button, under ClickLock, select the Turn on ClickLock check box.
  3. Click OK.
If your still having trouble, try a different mouse.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old June 11th, 2016, 04:22 AM

Great you know that actually worked BUT now all of my main click action is on the Right click instead of the left! Yes I unchecked the switch function button while keeping the other options you suggested but it went back to the same problem I was having in the 1st place.
Old June 11th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Is this a new mouse or has it had a bit of use?
If new, can you try it on another machine? If problem persists, return it.

If it is not new, remember mice buttons are mechanical parts and they wear out. Double-click on single press and no-click on press are the most common signs of a worn out mouse button, although it could just be dirt build-up under the button.

Depending on the make and model, it may be worth pulling apart and cleaning and checking the button mechanism for wear and tear, but if it is just a cheap "disposable" mouse, dispose of it and spend the $10 on another one.
Old June 11th, 2016, 09:25 PM

Thanks I changed to another Mouse! All is Well!
Old June 16th, 2016, 03:04 PM

Believe it or not I have actually taken apart a mouse, cleaned the connections and got it back together working properly again. It's an old Logitech 580 I think, but this action is not for the squeamish. It's not something I would recommend to anyone but the most talented fiddlers. I had to interpret the position of a few parts that came off during disassembly to get it back together. I also had to take it back apart because one of the buttons would not depress after re-assembly. It's pretty tricky to get it back together properly but that's just me, I love a challenge like that.