Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:56 AM

Windows XP SP2 Pro Running Slow

Has anyone had the problem of windows XP Pro running slow if machine is left on for to long i have been useing windows XP Pro SP2 and the longer i leave it on for the slower it gets i always thought that windows XP SP2 was stable in this regard

many thanks any help please reply in mail to Email removed by Murray: Spammers watch the forums for just that reason !!
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:05 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
It depends on what you do, what gets put into memory, if it removes itself properly, if programs have crashed, registry size, etc. Rebooting is not a 4 letter word, and generally can clear up alot of issues that may be causing programs to run unstable or slow.
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:42 AM

The only prog i have running is torrentstorm " a torrent downloader" i am running it on my laptop with no problems laptop is running windows XP home it is same pro same mem i have even just streamed main machine and put basics on "nearly the same as what i have on laptop" it is really bugging me thanks for super fast reply
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:54 AM

From my experience, when I have a torrent downloader running, it spikes my CPU usage, I know I had to close it to run a game because it would lag my system out each time it spiked. How long of a time period does it take for the system to display the slow down?

Last edited by stummies; August 18th, 2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Large torrents will slow a computer to a crawl as the torrent progresses.

Save the torrent to the desktop instead of opening it. When things get slow, pause the torrent, close it, and restart the computer to reinitialize the ram. To resume the torrent where it left off, just click on it.

The lag occurs because the torrent will eat up the ram. This will occur on all Windows operating systems. Are the torrents you get on the laptop much smaller than the ones on the desktop?
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:03 AM

so would doubling up my RAM help as i am running 512 at the mo i can always borrow 512 from a shop i no "he allows me to have parts to see if it will help" as i help him out in the shop now and again it is the first time i have come across this problem would you think Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 would slow both of my machines down as it is a new virus and firewall that i have changed to ????? as i found NORTON killed the speed totaly

many thanks f14Jag

P.s torrents are the same size as downloading on both machines apart from 1 is wireless the other direct cable connection to my 4 meg broadband ?

Last edited by f14jag; August 18th, 2006 at 07:05 AM.
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:17 AM

More ram will help, but not by much. Torrents just consume it too quickly.

Norton is a known resource hog. I've only installed Kaspersky once. I can't remember what version, but I installed it after formatting and installing XP. Anyway, I found the system drag caused by Kasperksy to be too excessive, so I uninstalled it.

I download torrents on all four of my systems. These systems range from mediocre to high performance. All of them slow dramatically once the torrent begins to hit a certain point.

Last edited by Seth_; August 18th, 2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:00 AM

what anti virus and firewall would you surgest to run that will not drag system down so much "i bet there are not that many" also that is the only way as you surgested to get main machine working at full speed is to close and re-start "but then i have or may have a problem re-starting torrent files" but never the less will do as surgested will another 512 be ok to take it upto 1024 or would that be to much any amount would be good to no i will have to open another thread to query next problem unless you can Gmail me at f14jag@gmail.com "it is a google mail account"

Many thanks for promt reply Jag
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:22 PM

If you have the money, upgrading from 512 to 1k would make a difference in system performance, though, as I said before, I have experienced torrents stealing large amounts of CPU time, and I have 1.5GB of ram on this machine, so adding ram isn't going to change how the torrents affect your computer. It going to come down to just having to stop your torrents if they are causing issues.

Most of the 'free' anti-virus, like !avast and avg will work. For firewalls, using the windows XP SP2 firewall with the exceptions list would be fine to use for a home user.