Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old March 4th, 2020, 06:46 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Unhappy Battery not charging

I have an HP DV6 Pavillion laptop.. I had to replace the battery because my old one was dead... would no longer charge and a check of the battery by the HP support assistant program, showed the battery was bad... I'm running Windows 10
When i got the new battery, it was showing 49% available... I read to let the battery go down to at least 8% and then charge it back up.. I also read from HP to charge it up to 100% and then let it go down and charge back to calibrate it.. I can get it go down, it is at 6% available now.. but it will NOT charge.
I took out the battery and replugged it in... I took out the battery and plugged in the adapter and held down the power button for a minute and then started up the computer... the adapter will run the computer without the battery so am assuming it is okay.. I went into the device manager and uninstall the battery drivers.. shut it down and installed the battery back in and plugged in the adapter and booted it back.. to let the drivers install back.. that didn't help... Right now, I have the adapter plugged in and it says 6% available (plugged in).. it is not charging.. I ran the HP assistant on the battery and it shows that the battery is good and needs calibrating.. of course I can't do it because it won't charge...
ANY ideas as to what I can do with this thing...

thanks
Barbara
Old March 5th, 2020, 02:42 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
OEM (HP) or an aftermarket battery? Take the battery out and put it back in making sure it is seated all the way.

Aslo the charger you have is it the original one or been replaced. A faulty charger can run the laptop but not enough juice getting to the battery.

Test the charger:

1.Make sure the power cord and adapter is connected to the system and wall outlet.
2. Press and hold the power button until the computer turns off completely.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the UEFI Hardware Diagnostics screen is displayed.
5. In the UEFI Main menu, select Component Tests.
6. In the Component Tests menu, select Power
7. In the Power menu, select the AC Adapter test.

if you have verified the AC power supply is functioning correctly, use the following steps to troubleshoot the battery:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00259897
Old March 5th, 2020, 01:01 PM

Thanks.. will run the UEFI to check the adapter... I did the diagnostic of the battery with the HP Support Assistant and it shows the battery to be good and had the message to calibrate it... but I can't calibrate it because it's not charging back up... so I can calibrate it... I used the canned air to be sure there was no dist on the contacts that would cause an issue... will let you know how the UEFI shows... This is the original adapter I'm using... Since it powers up the computer, I thought it was okay...

thanks
Old March 6th, 2020, 12:25 PM

Thank you, Murf, so much for telling me about the UEFI.. I had no idea that was in the computer.. But there was no choice called "Component Tests" in it... and I didn't see anywhere to test the adapter.. BUT, there was a Battery test, so decided to run the Battery test which takes over 4 hours... It calibrated the battery.. charged it to 100% and then drained the battery to 0%, and then charged it back to 100%... NOW, it seems to be working like it should.. I pulled out the adapter and let it drain some while I worked on the computer, then plugged the adapter back in and it now is charging up the battery like it should...
With my old battery, if you put your mouse over the battery icon, it would say how much % is available and that it was charging.. Now, it says how much % is available and that it is plugged in... but when you put the mouse over the icon, it tells you how much time it will be before it is 100% charged, which it wasn't doing..
thank you again, so much for the UEFI information... that is what it took, for it to do the calibration...and now it is working

have a great day - appreciate your help on this
Barbara
Old March 6th, 2020, 11:27 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
So glad you get it sorted out, making note of this one in case it comes up again.