Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old August 16th, 2014, 02:10 PM

Lightbulb Accessing on NT 2000 Workstation without logon profile

I have an old discarded Dell Latitude running NT 2000 that I want to let young children learn on. I managed to blank out admin password with external disc but it has also been left with a local protocol that doesn't allow anyone to logon interactively. I have downloaded all the os files from bootdisk.com but when I boot it from USB I get an error "missing operating system". Can anyone tell me what I am missing or what I have done wrong. I would really appreciate any help.
Old August 16th, 2014, 07:05 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Older computers were not designed to boot from USB devices.
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:17 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Vasto View Post
I have an old discarded Dell Latitude running NT 2000 that I want to let young children learn on. I managed to blank out admin password with external disc but it has also been left with a local protocol that doesn't allow anyone to logon interactively. I have downloaded all the os files from bootdisk.com but when I boot it from USB I get an error "missing operating system". Can anyone tell me what I am missing or what I have done wrong. I would really appreciate any help.
I'm sorry but it is against the policy of this public forum to assist in bypassing Windows security.

Without knowing the local admin account and password, your options are limited to reformatting the system and installing a new operating system. If the laptop still has it's Windows 2000 Certificate of Authenticity sticker with the Product Key number, you can borrow a Windows 2000 installation CD and re-install fresh from that.