Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM

Windows Movie Maker & Quicktime

I want to make a video using Windows Movie Maker, but all my videos are saving as "quicktime" videos. Usually they save to windows media player, and I set as my default media player, and re-upload the videos, but they are still downloading as quicktime videos. When I try to import the videos to windows movie maker none of the videos show up in the folder where I downloaded them, and when I try to play the video with windows media player it says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." It also says something about not supporting the ".mov" format. It is driving me CRAZY! I just want to upload my videos so I can use windows movie maker. I asked my dad if deleting quicktime all together would work, but he said then the videos wouldn't play at all. I've tried this with videos from two different cameras (one cannon, and one olympus) so I know it's not the camera, it's the computer.

If anyone could give me some step by-step instructions to fix this? And easy directions preferably, I am NOT good with computers. Thanks!!
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:17 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Free Video Conversion Software

Hi there,

I have this free piece of video conversion freeware I could give you the link to. It is called Any Video Converter. Here is the link: http://www.any-video-converter.com/d...d-avc-free.php All you should need to do is click the "Add Video" button and browse for your video files you would like to convert, and then change the profile so you can change the file type. (WMV is a good file type if your going to import into Windows Movie Maker.) Be sure to open the file tab up the top, and click "Set Output Folder/Location" before converting anything. Good Luck, If you need anymore help, just post another reply on this topic.

Regards,

Grinchey
Old May 14th, 2018, 03:33 AM

Hi, try VideoSolo Free Video Converter, after downloading it, just open and click "Add File" button to import your file, then from the "Output format", select WMV as output format, finally, click "Convert" and wait for seconds. Then you can find your WMV file in your folder.
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:03 PM

Although converting from MOV to WMV or something Win Movie maker recognizes is a solution, it sounds to me like what ever your using to download the videos from the cameras is set to MOV rather than what you used to use, perhaps being converted on the fly by Quicktime. What application are you using to get the videos from the camera to the PC? There may also be a setting that selects the default as MOV rather than what your used to. It could also mean that Quicktime has set itself as the default for your machine. If that's the case, all of your videos would then have the quicktime icon associated with them. I wish I knew more to help you, but this is the kind of thing that actually sitting at the PC and fooling around with settings is the easiest way to figure out what's going on. When did you install Quicktime? Did you know there is an open source alternative for both Quicktime and Realplayer (.MOV or .RA .RAM). Quicktime has been known to be quite a pain when it comes to attempting to set itself as a default but the alternative is much less intrusive.

I do not use my cameras applications for getting photos and videos off my camera. Canon wants to load a ton of different crap so what I did was purchase an SD Card reader so I can pull the card from the camera and copy the files directly to a folder on my PC. There is no conversion and I can see exactly what file extension my camera is using.