Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:08 AM

Unhappy Keyboard Wont Reinstall

I am running Win XP. I opened my computer this afternoon and the screen was full of malware saying my computer was infected and buy thier removal tool. I could not open any programs or even use the keyboard. I restarted in safe mode and did a system restore for 2 days ago and everything looks OK except the keyboard wont work. The lights come on but none of the keys will work. Some of the hot buttons work. I have uninstalled through the device manager and keyboard in control panel and restarted. There is a screen that says that computer has detected new hardware and so I want to install, I click yes reboot and it is still x'ed out in device manager and won't work. I did troubleshoot and get this.
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. ( Code 38)"
Can anyone please help, I have done the uninstall and reboot ten times and same result. Thanks for any and all advice.
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
usb keyboard? wireless? did you try the keyboard on another computer to see if it is a keyboard or something else
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:24 PM

it is usb it works until xp starts up and some hot keys work its xed out in device mgr when i troubleshoot it gives me error 38 previous device still in memory cannot load device driver. thanks for helping