Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 31st, 2021, 06:02 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Biostar Hi-Fi A70U3P No Post

I have 2 of these and have never gotten them to post with video. Onboard VGA or HDMI. Not even with a video card with VGA and DVI. I have tried everything that I can think of including Biostar support, no joy. I've tried my 6400K and 2 7670's, 2 different sets of DDDR3 2400. CPU and Ram have been tested with other boards and work fine. I've even tried 1333 Ram in single and dual config. Nothing. Everything lights up but no video output through onboard VGA or HDMI on different monitors. Reliable power supplies, good cmos batteries, jumper in the right position, etc. I just put them in the closet after I bought them years ago and they didn't work. I just got them out to try again. This forum taught me how to deal with so many problems over the years but this one has run me out of ideas after trying over the years. I keep hoping I missed something but end up just putting them back in the closet. Both were brand new in the box.

Thanks.
Old February 1st, 2021, 05:11 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Have you tried a Hard Reset?

Start by:
Pull out the CR2032 3V Battery.
Move the CMO's BIO's Jumper from "RUN" Mode to "RESET/Clear CMOS".
Remove all power connectors from the Power Supply to the Mother Board.
Disconnect Cables from All Drives.
Remove all Cards from Slots.
Remove RAM from Memory Slots
On the Motherboard find the Front Panel Header Pins for the "Power On" Switch.
{Pins 15 & 16}
Short the pins with a small flat blade screw driver for 20 seconds.
{We want to make absolutely sure any Capacitors on the motherboard are fully discharged.}

Next:
Now reinstall and connect everything backup.
Put the CMO's BIO's Jumper back in to "RUN" Mode.
{Use the "On Board Video" when connecting a monitor.}
Try turning it on.
If all went well, you'll get a boot message about re-doing your BIO's settings.

If not...............
Contacted BioStar about the warranty on the Motherboard,
and getting an RMA for a replacement Motherboard.

Good luck with them.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old February 1st, 2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I just put them in the closet after I bought them years ago and they didn't work.

Both were brand new in the box.
So you bought them brand new years ago, and they never worked?

Why didn't you return them when they were still under warranty?

While it is possible two new boards can both be faulty from the factory and demonstrate the exact same problem, the odds of that are pretty slim. It suggests something else is wrong - especially since you can't even boot and see into the BIOS Setup Menu.

I note the 6400K and 7670K CPUs are on the QVL but not the 7670. Oddly, the marketing specs say it supports 2400(OC) RAM but none are listed in the RAM QVL.

If me, I would assemble the system outside the case on a large wooden bread/cutting board. If it works, inspect the case to ensure you only have a standoff in the case where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 12:38 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Bios update during newer core transition

Yep. Biostar got back to me and said the update for the Richland/Kaveri core was issued 03-17-2015. I got these 07-2016. I thought they would've had the update but must have been from older stock. Makes sense after all I've tried and they both act the same. Not my first time with systematic troubleshooting. In fact, ONE of us should have thought of that.. I'm going to buy a Trinity core and do the update Biostar support sent me. No sense updating this thread, it works or it doesn't, solved or no. Yes, I've done bench boots. I've shunted the cmos pins, pulled the battery and let it sit bare in the box for a while. The errant stand off was a good one though and I could see that being a gremlin for someone. I was just stubborn and wouldn't throw them out. So ~once a year they'd pop into my head and I would get them out and puzzle over them. Fun times. These were good ideas for last ditch efforts at recovering a system though.

Thanks

Sap
Old February 2nd, 2021, 04:48 PM

Not sure what you mean by "ONE of us should have thought of that."

I did. That's why I looked at your QVLs and noted the 7670 is not listed. But you said the 6400K didn't work either and that is listed. And according to TPU here, that AMD processor was released in June 2013. Then I looked at the board's BIOS history and according to Biostar, the initial BIOS release was in Oct 2014. So the 6400K should have worked with the board's factory release BIOS.

It is possible those boards sat on the retailer's shelf or in their warehouse quite sometime after they left the factory before you purchased them. But the information you provided in your opening post, along with my findings about the CPU and motherboard release dates, did not suggest a BIOS firmware update was needed.

I also thought you might have zapped the CPUs with ESD but you said they worked with other boards so I did not mention that. But it is possible you zapped the boards if you did not take the necessary ESD precautions.

The extra standoff(s) issue is actually a pretty common mistake by newbies and distracted pros alike - especially when swapping boards out of a case that's already been used in a build with a different board. This is because cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards so there almost always are more standoff mounting holes than motherboard mounting holes.