Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM

connection issues

I have struggled for some time to figure this out, but to no use. My father and I both have the exact same setups for internet and wireless access in our homes -- service provided by Optimum Online, Linksys 54G wireless router. I have no trouble connecting to the internet in my home, but every time I try to connect at his house, I get a "limited or no connectivity" message. He has no trouble with wireless in his home, but has never tried to connect at my home. I ave a Dell Inspiron e1505, with standard Dell-issue wireless cards. Any idea as to why I experience these problems at his home? Also, neither of us uses security on the networks in our homes.
Old March 15th, 2008, 10:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Just a thought here but you said both set up's are the same are they really? What kind of wireless adapter is he using to accness his network? Also you said there is no security on either router but is he sure he doesn't have MAC address filtering turned on? Also what sort of settings are you using on your wireless adapter in your laptop? When you try to connect to his network do you even see it listed as available or not see it at all? If you do see it and try to connect does it give you an error or any sort or just time out?
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM

I'm not sure what he has as far as wireless adapter; he's got a laptop from his office that he doesn't use all that often. His router is set up the same as mine because I helped him set it up (I had the first laptop/wireless router in the family, so he had me over to help him). I don't really know what MAC filtering is, but when I'm over there tomorrow I could check. I don't have trouble actually connecting to his network -- it always connects and tells me theres limited or no connectivity, then disconnects, then reconnects the same way until I shut off the wireless adapter out of frustration. I have no problems when I plug into the router, and I've reconfigured his router the same as mine. Except for the computers themselves, we should have the same setup. Thanks for the help so far.